Why is the Account Status Security Value not equal to the Market Value? for the same account? RSUs

Ed Shepard
Ed Shepard Member ✭✭
Tracking ESPP and RSU shares in one account. The Holdings window shows the correct number of shares for each and the correct Market Value. However, the Account Status "Security Value" and the value displayed in the Register are incorrect. Security Value appears to be tied to future RSU values, which have not vested.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you please provide graphics showing what you're describing?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• James137
    James137 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    I'm having the exact same issue. The number of shares and "Market Value" column are correct. However, the "Total Market Value" total in the "Account Status" below do not match.
  • Ed Shepard
    Ed Shepard Member ✭✭
    To: NotACPA - Don't want to provide graphics as that will give away personal financial information. I've done the math and determined that Quicken is calculating "Security Value" using the value of RSUs that have not yet vested, while the "Market Value" is calculated using only RSUs that have already vested. This is the first time I've seen this, as I starting tracking this account back in December of 2000. I know Quicken has recently added new features to track RSUs, so I've got to figure out a way to solve this, or just accept that the "Security Value" which matches the value shown as the "Current Value in the Account List" on the left, are always going to display the "potential value" of my holdings. As an example, assume I have 100 shares of a stock that has a current price of $10/share. I also have Grants for 100 RSUs for the same stock that will vest over the next 4 years. The "Market Value" displays correctly at $1,000. The "Security Value" and the "Current Value in the Account List" both display $2,000.
  • Peter Goergen
    Peter Goergen Member ✭✭✭
    I'm having the same, or at least similar problem. I say similar because all of the RSUs I entered are Unvested. I have entered one grant (2022) with three future Vesting Dates. The Market Value near the top of the "Account Overview: RSUs" matches the "Outstanding Value" on the Fidelity website. However, within the "Account Status" section, the "Security Value" and "Total Market Value" are about 32% higher. I'm holding off entering the Unvested RSUs granted from 2020 and 2021 until I get this figured out. Version 45.11 on W10 Home. Thanks
  • James137
    James137 Member ✭✭
    I had actually had the problem resolve itself and now it is back again. It is just as Peter describes it: for the RSU account, the account status security value is about 30% higher than the actual values of the holdings.
  • Peter Goergen
    Peter Goergen Member ✭✭✭
    I played around with it. It seems to be doubling the value of the next-vested RSU.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are previous discussions on the RSU valuation issue, here is the main one:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7918351/rsu-value-bug

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ed Shepard
    Ed Shepard Member ✭✭
    From what I can tell, when Quicken recently added the algorithms for tracking RSUs, the program changed all of my Grant Employee Stock Option transactions to Add Share transactions. I noticed they added a "RSU Grant" option, which was not available before. It appears that since the "RSU Vest" transactions are no longer tied to a Grant transaction, we are seeing this difference in "Market Value" and "Security Value".
This discussion has been closed.