answer to this category error? Wheres the gear pop-up menu for categories on Mac

CynRitch
CynRitch Member ✭✭
I'm cleaning up my categories in QMac 6.10.3 and keep getting this error (screenshot attached). I've searched all over trying to find the "gear icon" thinking that there may be another check to uncheck.
"Show all categories" is already unchecked in the category screen but it still doesn't how ALL categories, to include subcategories.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @CynRitch It looks to me like you have encountered a rare bug which has popped up from time to time. The issue is the grayed out categories and missing subcategories in the Categories window. The Quicken developers say they are aware of the issue, but there has not been a fix released.

I experienced this myself in a test file at one point, and I'll share a cure that worked for me. Surprisingly, the problem was resolved by removing the Quicken preferences file and letting it generate a new one. This means you will lose a number of your settings in Quicken which you'll need to set up again. Rather than deleting the preferences file, I suggest moving it to your desktop — if it cures the problem, you can tweak your settings and preferences; if it doesn't, you can move back your original preferences file.

Quit Quicken. To locate the preferences file, in the Finder hold down the Option key while pulling down the Go menu, and select Library. Open the Preferences folder and look for com.quicken.Quicken.plist. Drag this file to your Desktop. Relaunch Quicken, and it will create a new plist file. Open your Categories window and see if all the categories are now visible without any being grayed out. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • CynRitch
    CynRitch Member ✭✭
    Thanks so much for your quick reply... I found your suggestion in another thread but couldn't figure it out. This step-by-step was wonderful - AND ITS FIXED!!! you are the a god-send... I couldn't move forward on my budget without this. Thank you so much!
  • CynRitch
    CynRitch Member ✭✭
    now if we could just print it :smile:
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm glad deleting the preferences file worked for you. I don't understand why the Quicken engineers haven't been able to resolve this issue, since it seems clear it's a setting in the preferences file. Burt at least this work-around works.

Yes, a printable categories list would be helpful at times. The only real option is to open the Categories window as tall as it can be on your Mac, and then take a screenshot, jump down one screenful, take another screenshot, and repeat until you get to the bottom; then print all the screenshots. Not pretty, but it gets the job done. ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.