Why doesn't Quicken print the entire check memo?

Under Write check, I type the memo for a check, and it shows entirely on the screen, but when I print the check, it fails to print the entire memo. It leaves the last part out. Can I correct this?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @jd46ski

I was actually thinking that you might be able to reduce the print font size for all data on the check (not just that memo field) in order to have it print the entire contents of the memo line.

I haven't seen any reports of printing problems like you are seeing.  You could try contacting Quicken Support on Monday to see if they have any suggestions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jd46ski

There is a limit to the number of characters that will print on a check memo.  How many characters are you trying to print?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jd46ski
    jd46ski Member
    The same 60 characters which show in the memo line prior to printing.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that the character limit for the memo field is 64 characters, so 60 should work.  Have you tried reducing the font size for printing?

Frankx

• jd46ski
    jd46ski Member
    My memo was within the character limit for the memo, it just did not print the last several characters. I do not think you can change the font size for the memo line on checks.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @jd46ski

I was actually thinking that you might be able to reduce the print font size for all data on the check (not just that memo field) in order to have it print the entire contents of the memo line.

I haven't seen any reports of printing problems like you are seeing.  You could try contacting Quicken Support on Monday to see if they have any suggestions.

Frankx

• jd46ski
    jd46ski Member
    Will do. Thank you for your help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    The programmers only allow for a certain length of the memo field. Depending on the font type and size you have chosen for your checks, not all the text will be able to fit inside that space.
    As suggested by others, changing to a different font type and/or font size might make it possible to print your entire memo text on the check. (See Printer Setup / For printing checks)
    Experiment using different font types and sizes by reprinting this particular check on blank paper. The default font is Arial, 10 pt. My aging eyes prefer Trebuchet 11 pt.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ukr, I was running Registers with Courier New 11.  I took a look at Trebuchet 11 and I now prefer it also ... for the same reason.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.