Quicken update deleted ten months of transactions

Options
Cleo112233
Cleo112233 Member
Quicken auto-updated to v.27.1.44.28 on my computer. When it opened the database, I discovered that the last ten months of transactions were missing. The same thing happened when I opened the backup copies of the database. I uninstalled this version and re-installed v.27.1.40.21. Unfortunately the database still showed ten months of transactions missing. How did this happen and is there some way that the most current copy of the database can be retrieved?

Comments

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you sure the data is gone?  What are you looking at?  If you are looking at a particular register is it sorted correctly by date with the most recent dates at the bottom?  There should be a little triangle pointing up in the header of the date column.  If it is on another column it is not sorted correctly.  Click on the header of the date column to fix it.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Cleo112233

Are you sure that you loaded the correct datafile after the program update? 

It seems very unlikely that the move to version 44.28 (which for very many users has been working well for almost a month now) would affect your datafile as well as your backup during the loading process.  Don't you keep a series of backup files over time (e.g. perhaps one historical backup dated at the end of each month in the current year)?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Cleo112233
    Options
    The red flag is in the date column and it is sorted so that the last date is shown at the bottom.
  • Cleo112233
    Options
    and to answer your other question; I am looking at the QDF file.
  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    and to answer your other question; I am looking at the QDF file.
    I would assume that.  What I was asking was whether you were looking at a particular register or a report or something else within Quicken that is telling you data is missing.
  • Cleo112233
    Options
    I am looking at the transaction register for each account that I have set up. Same problem for all accounts.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    According to Windows, what was the date that the Backup file that you used was "Last Modified"?
    When you create a backup, do you have Q append the Date & time stamps?:  If so, when was the backup that you used created?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Cleo112233
    Options
    I have multiple backup files. the date last modified shows as today or the last day I opened the file this week. The date created appears on some files and not on others. I don't recall being asked if I want the creation date stamped for months and months, if not years. I back up once a month after I have classified the transactions for the prior month. The backup files I have show creation dates in early March, early May and there is a recent one showing early October. The files with creation dates in May and October only have transactions up to February. I have no idea where the other backup files are. They are not in the Quicken backup folder nor are they in MS File History (which I have just discovered to be totally unreliable in any case).
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Cleo112233,

To find whatever Quicken backup files may be on your computer, you should search on "*.QDF-backup"  (without the quotes).

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Cleo112233
    Options
    Thank you! I did that search and found dozens of backup files that do not show up with File Explorer. However, how do I save or print the search results so that I can locate and open each one?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @Cleo112233

To save that screen - open it (and keep it top-most of all your windows) and use the "Windows key + "Print Screen" key combination.  That will take  "picture" of the screen ; then just go to your "Screenshots" folder (which is usually at "This PC" > "Pictures" > "Screenshots" ).

Frankx

• Cleo112233
    Options
    Thanks, I should be able to find an older file that has all the data.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sounds good - let me know how that goes.

Frankx

• Cleo112233
    Options
    I found an intact backup file!!!! Thank you so much!!!
This discussion has been closed.