quicken deluxe, operating this if you do NOT RENEW SUBSCRIPTION

i have quicken deluxe. all i need is a glorified checkbook with a couple accounts in it. HOW do i operate quicken deluxe, AFTER the subscription expires? reason i ask is that QUiCKEN auto-updates, then if subscription has expired, tells you you can't use it any more.
there are DOWNLOAD options, but i am confused with them. Why does not the normal program just continue to operate, revert back to prior version?
what am i actually downloading and installing? if I revert back to the November 2022 version, is that a FULL INSTALL, and then does THAT DOWNLOADED VERSION keep frrom auto-updating?
and is there any chance that the auto-update that occured BEFORE the notice, did any damage to my files?

AND, if oyu get the EXPIRE notice, then you can't just get an activation code and enter it, you have to then reinstall software, log back in, enter code, etc, and this changes your default setups for backups, etc.

any real clarification on this is appreciated
thanks

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    if you do not renew the subscription, there is no download capability.  You can't download from your banks, securities, etc.  you have a glorified checkbook which you will have to manually enter all the transactions. 

the download features are only available with a subscriptiuon (Quicken has to pay for all the infrastucture to may that occur, so the subscription helps pay for your fair share)

you also don't get the benefit of any future features or enhancements.  

So you have to ask yourself is if the convenience of downloading the transactions (and not manually entering them)  is worth $70 / year......

I've also seen other posts where there are annoying ads taking up about 25% of the screen encouraging the subscription.....
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to make sure that Quicken won't upgrade to a release past the date that your subscription expired, set your Windows UAC setting to the highest level so that you are always asked before any program can make a change to your computer.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• to all,
    thanks for comments.
    re: downloads of transactions, etc - no need for this any more. I'm retired. I used quickbooks for 30+ years, it served me well. i used online features, etc.
    But, being retired, fading off into the netherworld eventually, there are very few transactions i do any more. so all i really need is the glorified checkbook :-)

re: the link for how quicken works, if expired - the link is ok, but it is still not clear how you transition to the expired version; is that download of the install, and patch-at-expire-date, a version that does NOT check for future updates, and then i'll get the perpetual "you have expired" notice (which I can live with)

re: locking up the auto-install, changing UAC - will Quicken in its "try and update me" form still work OK, if it is not allowed to update?

AND, as an option, if i turn OFF THE INTERNET, when using quicken, will THAT still let it function, at the current version, even though it can't see the internet?
    thanks
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    once you subsciption has expired, you just use quicken as you always have EXCEPT you can't download transactions nor will you receive alerts to download updated versions of the software.  It is as if you have disconnected from the internet.

there is no separate software; it's just the software currently on you PC. 

there is nothing special you have to do to use the software once the subscription expires, it just kinda happens. 

you are overthinking it! just keep using QUicken just the way you have been.  QUicken itself will take care of a expired subscription - you don't have to do anything. 
  • Mark, thanks. But, unfortunately, that is not the scenario i've found.
    if my subscription expires (expired, it did), when you start quicken, it does an auto-update. it does not even check for expire first. THEN, after installing the update, it tells you that YOU ARE EXPIRED. then a window comes up stating that you have to download software to reinstall quicken. THEN, you are given another window to select the PATCH of the LATEST version PRIOR to your expire date.

it would be so nice if the program just said "Hey, we checked to do an update, and you are expired, so we are NOT doing any more updates, you are stuck at this version forever unless you renew". but it does not do that.

AND, if it has expired, and you found out the hard way above, and you purchase a renewal, and you try to start quicken to enter the code, you cannot even get to the start screen, to get to HELP -> Manage Subscription -> enter activation code.

you have to first REINSTALL quicken as noted above, and then the latest patch, and then enter activation code, etc.

if that is NOT the way it is supposed to work, then i'm doing something wrong, but that is the scenario i found, and that my sister (separate machine) found also.

any other clarifications is appreciated, thanks
    nick
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you had set the UAC setting as suggested, you would have been able to refuse the update and should have been able to avoid this situation.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might be able to install the Mondo patch that was released right before your subscription expired. Otherwise, I would suggestion uninstalling Quicken and use this version (Install For Quicken 2018 - Subscription - QuicknPerlWiz) for the initial install and then the Mondo patch. Also, as @splasher suggested, change the UAC to the highest level.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher, thanks.
    the scenario happened prior to me posting this thread. i am trying to figure what to do in the future, and the UAC is definitely something i may do.
    thanks
    nick
  • re: SPLASHER advice of elevating UAC - I did this, and quicken recently tried to update, and I DID GET the "do ou want to allow updates...", etc - I said NO, and quicken bypassed the update, and did function normally. NOW, to see if NOT letting it update causes any future glitches (at future update time, or how frequently it tries to update...) - BUT, if this works, and the updates can be blocked, then quicken seems ABLE to operate at NORMAL function. so, we will see what the future holds.... And,thanks to everyone for replies
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @KickersRejoinHispow The UAC setting just puts you in complete control of when updates of software are done, not the software.  No surprises.

• Splasher, that is true. BUT, if able to keep updates from installing, in a currently-installed in-licence version, and if something in the program does not eventually crash out due to "hey you did not update x 6 months", then the current purchased product may continue to work on that static version, and not eventually give the "expired" screens?? again, not sure
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how to respond since I'm not sure what you are asking.

• thanks - not asking anything specific, just commenting that if the program is kept from getting the updates, even after the 12 month window, and if it just determines "expired" state on whether a "post-expire update" has been installed, then it "may" operate, past the 12 months, without displaying the "hey you're expired" windows. just a hopeful observation. otherwise, at least when 12 months comes around, i can experiment....
    and thankd again !
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your subscription is expired, you will get the nag banner and panel reducing screen space suggesting that you renew regardless if your version is the last one available under your expired subscription or from a year before.  Expired means no online banking features of any sort.
    If a patch is applied that is released AFTER your subscription expires, your program will cease to work.  Then you will need to re-install an earlier version of Quicken and apply the last patch prior to the month that your subscription expired to get your Quicken installation working again unless you just go ahead and renew.
    No need to experiment.

This discussion has been closed.