Crash when clicking on Printer Setup (Q Mac)

jjremlap
jjremlap Member
Every time I click on Printer Setup Quicken crashes - suggestions?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    jjremlap said:
    Every time I click on Printer Setup Quicken crashes - suggestions?

Hello @jjremlap,  

I am sorry to hear about this issue with crashing. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community.

Have you tried restarting your computer? Also, you may attempt to uninstall the software by making use of the instructions provided here, then waiting 5 seconds or so and reinstalling it using these instructions.

I look forward to hearing about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • jjremlap
    jjremlap Member
    Restart did not help it still crashes immediately upon clicking on Printer Setup. I will now try the reinstall.
  • jjremlap
    jjremlap Member
    I did the reinstall but have exactly the same problem. Any other thoughts?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    What version of macOS are you running? And what version of Quicken Mac?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jjremlap
    jjremlap Member
    Ventura 13.0.1. andVersion 6.10.3 (Build 610.46328.100)
  • jacobs
    Sorry, I have no good suggestions to offer. I haven't read any reports of other users having this problem, and I can't think of what would be causing it. I assume you can print successfully and access Print Setup successfully in other programs?

You might try switching to a different User account on your Mac, and launching Quicken. Let it create a new file, and create one account for manual entry (don't connect it to your financial institution). If you select Print Setup now, does it crash or not? 
  • jjremlap
    jjremlap Member
    That's too much effort to deal with something that should work with no problem. I'll wait until they fix it.
  • jacobs
    jjremlap said:
    That's too much effort to deal with something that should work with no problem. I'll wait until they fix it.
    You're making an assumption there's a bug the developers know about and need to fix. What I was saying is that there haven't been any other reports of this problem, at least here on this forum. Maybe there's a problem with the code, but there's a good chance the issue you're experiencing is something in your computing environment. And it that's the case, you'll be waiting a long time for a fix! ;) 

My guess continues to be that it might be some corruption in your Quicken preferences file. Launching Quicken in a different user account could prove or disprove that. It's not a lot of work; it would take a minute. If you'd prefer, another way to test this would be to temporarily move your preferences file to your desktop, forcing Quicken to create a new one. (If you're interested in instructions on how to do that, post back here and I'd be happy to share the info.)
  • jjremlap
    jjremlap Member
    I am interested. What are the instructions for doing that?
  • jacobs
    @jjremlap Quicken has a few ancillary files, but replacing the primary Preferences file is the one which seems to cure a number of otherwise unexplainable issues. And it will just take you a minute to test to see if this fixes your Print Setup crashing issue.

While almost all of the work to handle printing in Quicken Mac is handled by native macOS tools, I'd guess that Quicken does save — in the Preferences file — the name of most recent printer used and perhaps a few other printer settings. To get to the Preferences file:
    • First, quit Quicken
    • In the Finder hold down the Option key while pulling down the Go menu. Select Library. (This is your /Users/(your user home folder)/Library
    • Within the Library folder, open the Preferences folder
    • Locate the "com.quicken.Quicken.plist" file
    • Drag this file to your Desktop.
    • Relaunch Quicken 
    When you move the Preferences file out of the Library folder, Quicken will generate a new one the next time it is launched. (If this doesn't cure the problem you're having, you can reverse the process: quit Quicken, delete the .plist file Quicken just created in the Preferences folder, and drag your old .plist file from your Desktop back into the Preferences folder.)

Note that replacing the .plist file will mean you will have to re-set some things you previously configured in Quicken. I would visit Quicken > Preferences and quickly review the settings in each of the tabs, changing them if they have been reset to a default value. (For instance, in Preferences > Register, if you normally use Long Names, it may be reset to Short Names and you'll have to select Long.) I don't know all the things saved there, but just be aware you may need some tweeks to get things back the way you had them/prefer them. But if it solves your Print Setup crashing problem, it's worth it! ;)

Post back and let us know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.