Loading Quicken Deluxe

Disconnected
Disconnected Unconfirmed, Member
I've used Quicken 2009 for more than a decade. Downloaded Deluxe for the 6th time. Won't load. Locks up and tells me that. Help?.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you trying to install Quicken 2009?  Or have you upgraded since then?  You can try to install an older version.  If you get it installed you will need to update it.  One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html

You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now.  Then it should run on newer versions of Windows.  Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013.

2013 should run on Newer Windows.  You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

If your version is 2003 or earlier you will need to first convert to 2004.  Then convert to 2013.  Read that whole article on converting.

And FYI - If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Disconnected
    So my 2009 info was apparently a red herring. Used to use. Saturday I purchased (at Black Fri. prices) a 2017? Deluxe which will not load. My latest attempt suggests that Windows 10S is not compatable with Quicken. However, I don't have 10S just Windows 10. Does this clarify my problem?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    So my 2009 info was apparently a red herring. Used to use. Saturday I purchased (at Black Fri. prices) a 2017? Deluxe which will not load. My latest attempt suggests that Windows 10S is not compatable with Quicken. However, I don't have 10S just Windows 10. Does this clarify my problem?
    well,  quit mentioning things you DON'T have -
    SO... you bought a copy of Quicken 2017  ?
    and installed on a normal Win10 machine - NOT the 10"S" version ?
    and now it "will not load" - details.... does it ask for a User ID and Password, or what ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It certainly sounds list you have 10S ... which will only run apps bought from Microsoft.
    Have you explored your Win Settings to make sure of the status?  I believe that it can be turned off there.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Disconnected
    I went to my settings. No evidence of 10 S mode. That's the error message i get though. Not compatible with 10 S mode.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What type of device are you trying to install on?  Desktop?  Laptop?

• Disconnected
    Dell PC
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dell PC

Didn't answer my question.  Dell produces both desktop and laptops.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    just to clarify the Win 10 version....
    In the lower left corner of the Win desktop ..... Right Click the "Windows Start " icon --> System --> scroll down
    What is your Win Specification Edition ? -
    AND... are you trying to install a copy of Quicken 2017 .... 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, the OP is wasting time and money trying to install Quicken 2017 since they won't get past the Quicken ID login. Quicken has disabled access to new installs of pre-subscription Quicken. I would suggest to the OP to use Quicken 2013 as @volvogirl posted.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Disconnected
    Thanks to all who offered input. I have downloaded the new Home and Business software. Having erased all earlier versions (per instructions), I find that all my data from 10+ years previous use has been deleted (confirmed on a chat with Q). Does anyone know how I might recapture that data or am I SOL?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what backups are for.

• Disconnected
    I bought one 3 years ago but being totally inept, did not activate so it has sat here taking up space. Thanks so much for your inciteful comment. AH
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Are there any subfolders in the Quicken folder such as BACKUP or something with 2009 in the name?
  • Disconnected
    The only folders available are those that have appeared in the last 2 days.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    You should have downloaded and installed the free version of Quicken 2013 first.

Convert Data From an Earlier Version of Quicken (When to Use an Intermediate Version)

And you didn't copy your Quicken data files before converting? Have you searched your hard drive for any files with a .qdf extension?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought one 3 years ago but being totally inept, did not activate so it has sat here taking up space.
    There's no purchase needed.  One can perform a backup from within Q.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disconnected said:   I find that all my data from 10+ years previous use has been deleted (confirmed on a chat with Q).
    You still should have retained your /Documents/Quicken/ and /Documents/Quicken/Backup - folders.....
    These are NOT deleted by installing newer versions of Quicken - if they were deleted, then you did that on your own...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.