Broker CD entry doesn't add to investment account total

Options
jcinccma54
jcinccma54 Member ✭✭
edited January 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I'm having trouble entering a broker purchased CD so that its value shows in the Account Summary (accounts list bar on left) . The security is set up as a CD type, and used a custom asset class of "Certificate of Deposit".
When I added it to the investment account, I selected Bond Purchased, entered the info and it saved...but when I go back to the transaction and edit it, the transaction type reverts back to 'Buy-Shares Bought".
How can I make an entry so the Investing account shows that $10000 in the account list summary?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "...but when I go back to the transaction and edit it, the transaction type reverts back to 'Buy-Shares Bought"."
    That's normal behavior for the Bonds Bought action.  I take it that the math (# of shares x price per share) is correct but the Invested Amount is wrong?  Simply edit the "Bought" transaction to make it correct, e.g., 1 x $10,000, 10 x $1,000 or whatever you figure is most appropriate.
  • jcinccma54
    jcinccma54 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I do edit it back (even though that makes no sense to do that), but my main problem is that the value of the CD (i.e. $10,000) doesn't show in the account's total in the account summary area on the left of the screen. The total of other investments (stocks, etc) does display...CDs don't add to the total.
  • Tom Young
    Options
    I just did a test purchase of a brokered CD with the security set up exactly as you describe, and the $10K certainly did show up in the Account's balance on the Account Bar.  What revision of Quicken are you on?  There have been some funky problems noted with "investment" with the recent release of R45.11 and maybe this is associated with that release?
    Have you bought brokered CDs before and have them show up properly?  Did you do a recent update?  If "Yes" to both then I'd roll back to the previous version where CD purchases were properly presented.
  • jcinccma54
    jcinccma54 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I now get something showing...but it doesn't make sense to me.
    I started from scratch...put in a deposit of $10k, then added a transaction (Bond Bought) for 10 at $1000 each ($10k). This transaction line now includes a Cash Amnt (it didn't before) so that's good...but it shows as a negative, where regular securities Cash Amnt is positive (see image Equity Transaction). Also, in the summary of all accounts on left, it shows a balance of $9000??
  • Tom Young
    edited December 2022
    Options
    You're comparing apples to oranges with your two pictures.  An actual "buy" transaction does decrease cash in the Account, that's simply the way it works:
    An Add transaction, on the other hand, doesn't affect cash; the security just "magically" shows up in your Account.  If you look at the Added entry you posted you should notice that even though there's a positive cash figure shown for the transaction, that figure does not affect the cash balance in the Account. 
    Now if this CD purchase is the only transaction in the Account, the only security in the Account (if you click on the Holdings button, what do you see?) then there's a problem here.  If clicking on Holdings shows only that one security in the amount of either $9K or $10K then it appears that some data corruption has occurred.  If that's the case then make a backup, go over to this Quicken article about data issues
    and do the Third step of Copying and Validating the file to see if that puts things to right.
  • sailerph2
    sailerph2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Go to edit price history for the security, There is probably a zero entry there
This discussion has been closed.