export/import QIF data from different data files

Options
altierior
altierior Member ✭✭
I had two of my registers really botched up during a WebConnect update. literally YEARS of data. I have lots of backups. I know how to open one of the backups and export to a .QIF. But when I try to import the data into my my current primary Quicken register, it only imports *some* of the transactions. What am I doing wrong?

I am a Quicken user for over 25 years, so I am no novice...

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are the missing transactions transfers?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • altierior
    altierior Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Are the missing transactions transfers?

Some were transfers in, some transfers out, and some account specific. Oddly enough, all of the transfers in were imported correctly. None of the transfers out and none of the other transactions imported. At the end of the import, a pop-up told me that 967 transactions were imported, but only 287 of them (only the transfers in) are in the import account, the others are simply not there.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken's QIF import has a problem with transfers and trying to match them up.
    In the QIF Import dialog you will see a checkbox for "Special handling for transfers".
    What this option does is remove the transfers from the "from account".  The point being that if you were importing transactions from both the accounts (each side of the transfer) then by only having one side of each transfer the QIF import would create the transfer, but not the extra one on the other side of the transfer that would have to be matched.

Turning off that option Quicken will not remove any of the transfers during the import.  How successful this will be, depends on matching the transfer transaction in the other account and that is quite unreliable.

What's more I haven't tested this in a long time, but I sort of remember Quicken Subscription ignoring this option and always removing the "from side" of the transfer.

BTW removing the "from side" was a terrible decision on their part, that means all your splits (and paychecks since they are splits) where you have a transfer out will be removed and if importing the other side you will get multiple transactions, one per transfer and then one for the remaining splits in the "from account".

Note there is also this option in play:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Transfer detection

For the most part Quicken Subscription has dropped applying any of the old attempts at matching transactions during the QIF import, but the "Transfer detection" does seem to fire off at the end of it.  And another bug is I don't think turning this option off works for QIF imports, they to it whether you want it or not.

Here is my approach on this kind of transfer problem:
    ChangeTransfers changes transfers in a QIF file to categories. - QuicknPerlWiz
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.