Quicken for Windows subscription R45.13 [slow]

Options
skbrad
skbrad Member ✭✭
I have used Quicken for 20 years. It get slower each time there is an update. The little blue wheel spins and spins. Have validated file, running Win 11, very fast desktop CPU, 32GB ram, data file is on SSD on desktop, do not use mobile, checked power settings, they are always plugged in balanced. Each time I enter a transaction, slow to process, each time I switch accounts, slow to open, downloading transactions from banks...well I might as well get a cup of coffee. Am not going to do a clean install, that usually does not go well, or says that I do not have a license or some such nonsense since I pay for a subscription.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @skbrad,

Can you tell us why the patch to revert to R44.28 did not work for you?  I suggest that you use these instructions to revert to that version:

1) Backup your Quicken datafile;
    2) Close out of Quicken; then copy the Link below and paste it into your browser 

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.44.28MPatch.EXE?_ics=1668880738587&irclickid=~fe79Z649572XY5X2459d6XY36Y459cb5-ebgh9~21VNMKFzvojf8

3) This will start the download of Quicken version 44.28 to your computer.
    4) Once the download of has completed - locate it (likely in your Downloads file). The filename is "QW27.1.44.28MPatch";
    5) Double click on it to install the download and once completed, restart Quicken.

Let me know if you have any followups and/or tell me how that all went.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Have you tried Validating your Q data file?  Take a backup before you do so.
    Do you store attachments in your data file?  They slow things down considerably.
    How many Memorized Payees do you have (TOOLS, Memorized Payee List) and when did you last trim that list?  I keep mine at 4 months since last use (EDIT, Preferences, Data Entry and Quickfill).  These slow things down also.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @skbrad,

I have noticed that very often such a slowdown is caused by users who have a lot of attachments in their Quicken datafile.  If you are adding attachments, you might want to consider saving those offline rather than in your datafile.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• skbrad
    skbrad Member ✭✭
    Options
    Never ever used attachments. Never save memorized payees longer than 2 months so those are NOT the reason.it is so slow. But thanks for the suggestions.
  • SEO
    SEO Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi - I have the exact same issue. It takes up to a minute to process any transaction, move from one register to another, etc. Exactly the same that since moving to subscription, each update makes it get worse. I have done all of the items that have been suggested before: removed memorized payees, validation of the file, super-validation of the file. I do not use the attachments feature. Nothing seems to help at all. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.
  • YouCanDoIt
    Options
    I have noticed the same in the past couple of weeks. It is taking way too long. It might be time to stop paying for the subscription and switch. Hopefully they fix this issue. I've been using quicken since the 90's and have always recommended them, but that might be changing.
  • skbrad
    skbrad Member ✭✭
    Options
    I agree
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am sorry to hear that you are being affected by these issues with slow performance. Thank you for speaking to us about this here on the Quicken Community.

I see that file validation, consideration for the amount of attachments used in a data file, and also the number of Memorized Payees have been looked into, thus far. I also want to know: have you tried restarting your computer after you begin to notice these issues with slowness or freezing? You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here.

I look forward to your responses. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • skbrad
    skbrad Member ✭✭
    Options
    OBVIOUSLY I have rebooted and restarted the computer many times. A reinstall is usually highly unsuccessful in my past experiences and usually requires a phone conversation with someone who does not speak English very well.
  • Jay Garbarino
    Options
    I have been having this slowdown issue for months. Also have use Quicken since 90's also.
  • skbrad
    skbrad Member ✭✭
    Options
    Lots of company. Have you shopped for another program to use?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's multiple problems with R45.  I'd suggest dropping back by downloading and installing R44.28 from here:https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-subscription-patches.html

• Jay Garbarino
    Options
    > @NotACPA said:
    > There's multiple problems with R45.  I'd suggest dropping back by downloading and installing R44.28 from here:https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-subscription-patches.html

Does the current data file work with the stepped back R44.28 version?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Jay Garbarino  Q hasn't changed the data set layout for several years now.  So, Yes.

• skbrad
    skbrad Member ✭✭
    Options
    I will try to go bzck to R 44....pain though.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skbrad said:
    I will try to go bzck to R 44....pain though.

Minor pain, minor effort ... especially considering the pain that doing so relieves.

• Dgro
    Dgro Member ✭✭
    Options
    Add me to the list of those longtime users (since 1998) who are reaching the end of my rope with Quicken. After acquiescing to the R45 update, I spent half a day correcting reconciliations of my accounts only to have incorrect balances again. Not to mention that these constant updates never seem to fix long-standing bugs. It's time to get serious about finding a replacement.
  • skbrad
    skbrad Member ✭✭
    Options
    OMG, just opened a Personal Capital Account and it was lighting fast connecting to banks!!!!! I have died and gone to heaven compared to Quicken.
  • skbrad
    skbrad Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken froze again today and tried to load patch to go back to 44.28, but it would not load.
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skbrad said:
    OMG, just opened a Personal Capital Account and it was lighting fast connecting to banks!!!!! I have died and gone to heaven compared to Quicken.
    I also use Personal Capital but I wouldn't consider it a replacement for Quicken. Also, they have a lot of issues with connections to financial institutions not consistently keeping connections.

Other than that, PC is great for investment/retirement analysis.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @skbrad,

Can you tell us why the patch to revert to R44.28 did not work for you?  I suggest that you use these instructions to revert to that version:

1) Backup your Quicken datafile;
    2) Close out of Quicken; then copy the Link below and paste it into your browser 

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.44.28MPatch.EXE?_ics=1668880738587&irclickid=~fe79Z649572XY5X2459d6XY36Y459cb5-ebgh9~21VNMKFzvojf8

3) This will start the download of Quicken version 44.28 to your computer.
    4) Once the download of has completed - locate it (likely in your Downloads file). The filename is "QW27.1.44.28MPatch";
    5) Double click on it to install the download and once completed, restart Quicken.

Let me know if you have any followups and/or tell me how that all went.

Frankx

• Dox Croc
    Dox Croc Member
    Options
    Another longtime user with 30 years of transactions and a 222MB data file that I sometimes need to search to find an old purchase. Everything bogs down, start-up, one step update, etc. Now I read that size of the data file is not the cause. What is?

Mike M
  • skbrad
    skbrad Member ✭✭
    Options
    Finally got R 44.28 to load instead of R45. My first impressions is that it is running better......still not wonderful, but better. Guess I won't download and install any new releases. IT is an improvement over R 45 substantially though.
  • Jay Garbarino
    Options
    R44 was better for most of 2-3 days. I plan to stay on it until Quicken acknowledges the difficulties. Yet this morning Quicken app asked to be updated. the details had "2903" or something in the title, but no reference of R45.13. I selected yes... now I am back on R45. Does the update automatically upload on closing the file? How can I not receive this update message and are there other reasons at some point to update?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Hi @Jay Garbarino

An update may automatically download if your Windows settings are set for that.

To be able to stop Quicken from automatically updating the application on startup, you'll need to change your "User Account Control Settings" in Windows.  Here are the steps:

1) Click on the "Windows" icon (in the lower left hand corner);
    2) Click on the "Gear" icon > In the "search box" - Type "Change user account control settings" > then click on that;
    3) You will see this pop-up window > Select the "Notify me only when apps try to make changes..." as shown on this Snip:

4) Click "OK" and you are done.

Keep in mind that this will stop the automatic installation, but it does that simply by warning you with a pop-up when there is an update available.  You will still need to say "No" to that pop-up warning, if you want to stay on your current version at that time. If you actually want the update - just check OK.

Let me know if you have any followups.

• Dmitry Smolyanitsky
    Options
    Add me also to the list of long time users, and yes quicken runs very slow for me also. My laptop specs are way above the requirements:

Device name Lenovo-Laptop
    Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics 1.80 GHz
    Installed RAM 16.0 GB (13.8 GB usable)
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I did super file validation and my file is 154MB.

Quicken needs to acknowledge the issue and provide some meaningful solution.
  • skbrad
    skbrad Member ✭✭
    Options
    Update! Currently able to backload R 44.28 and seems to be running fairly quickly with no major problems except when downloading institutions info...it downloads OK but at the end, the screen incompletely opens a window and then freezes. I have to use Task Manager to close Quicken and then reopen. A pain, but better than the whole program running slow like R 45 did. I do not get why each new update causes so many problems. Guess it is just a symptom of Quicken in 2022.
This discussion has been closed.