Portfolio view gain/loss figures incorrect after Amazon and Google stock splits

Big Elmer
Big Elmer Member
edited January 2023 in Investing (Windows)
Since recording the Amazon and Google stock splits this past summer, all of my gain/loss figures in the Portfolio View are incorrect for periods extending before the split, e.g., YTD and 12 month periods. In Security Detail View the split adjusted security price history is incorrect. It is showing a split adjusted share price of about $5 pre-split and that is throwing everything off. I called support and uploaded a data file and screen shots and Quicken Support has never responded back to me. Can anyone help?
Tagged:

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    do you have a split transactions in your investment transaction register on or around the date of the split? 

the prices are not going to change prior to the split; however, the the split transaction should increase the number of shares owned. 

pre-split example  100 shares @ $10 per share in security view
    post-split example (assume 5:1 split) 500 shares at $2 per share in security view. : 
  • True. I do have a split transaction in the register. 20 for 1 split in register. If I go into edit price history and look at the share price history in the system it correctly shows share price was above $2000 per share before the split. However, also in the detail view chart/graph it reflects a split adjusted share price of only about $5. And in portfolio view it reflect a 12 month gain of 973% for Amazon and 1,300% for Alphabet. Makes no sense.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there Added, Removed, or Placeholder (Entry)  transactions for these securities around the dates of the splits? Sometimes these transactions are downloaded instead of the correct StkSplit.

To make the Placeholders visible, go to Edit > Preferences > Investments and check the Show hidden transactions box if it is not already.

If you have any of these transactions, back up your data then delete them.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Elmer said:
    True. I do have a split transaction in the register. 20 for 1 split in register. If I go into edit price history and look at the share price history in the system it correctly shows share price was above $2000 per share before the split. ...
    Does that price-history information show the post split pricing in the $100 range?
    Big Elmer said:
    ...  However, also in the detail view chart/graph it reflects a split adjusted share price of only about $5. 
    That sounds as if you have two split transactions rather than one.  Is your share count correct?  Especially taking note of @Jim_Harman 's comment about placeholders.  You may need to confirm that your Edit / Preference settings include showing hidden investment transactions. 

For GOOGL, the 'split adjusted' price graph (with the box checked) should be uniformly declining from about $150 a year ago to about $100  now.  Without the box checked; no split adjustment, the prices before 7/18/22 should be $2000 and up; after 7/18/22 the graph would be about $100.   
    Big Elmer said:
    ... And in portfolio view it reflect a 12 month gain of 973% for Amazon and 1,300% for Alphabet. Makes no sense.
    My 12 month Gain/Loss% for AMZN and GOOGL show -46.30% and -25.63%  respectively as of 12/5/22 closing prices with some buys having taken place within that period. Independently, I calculate gain/loss % for the 12 months ending 12/5/22 at -46.90% and -31.21% respectively
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    yeah, it does sound as if there are TWO stocksplit transactions....at 20:1, a $2,000 stock is at $100 and then if split 20:1 again, it is at $5.00 
  • Thank you to those that responded. Mark, you are correct on the two splits I believe. I have unhidden the placeholder entries as suggested and I find no placeholders in my register or in transaction history in security detail view. Now... back at the time of the splits, I may have deleted the downloaded transactions from Schwab and re-entered them manually. I do see in my price history shows that GOOG was $2,403 on 7/8 and then $116 on 7/11 despite the split taking place on close of business 7/15. And I see that I dated my manual entry for GOOG as of 7/11 (not 7/16) so as to agree with the date the share price was adjusted down to $116. Could it be possible that deleting the downloaded transactions did not actually undo something? My current share count and share prices are all good. It's just prices/values before the split that are all wrong. Could I delete the split transaction and redo it or will that make it only worse? Thank you in advance for the help!
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, Quicken often gets the price wrong around the split date. You should enter one split and the price change should be on that date. If the data in the price history changes on another date, you can delete the incorrect entries and/or edit them to the correct values. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Jim_Harman
  • Thank you to those that helped. I finally figured it out. We owned AMZN and GOOG in both my wife's Schwab account and in my Schwab account. The reason my split data was incorrect was because I had manually entered the 20/1 split transactions in each account register. Today, I made a backup and deleted the split transaction in my account register and noticed it also deleted the split transaction in my wife's account register. I re-entered the split transactions in my account register only and it automatically put the split transaction in my wife's account register, and all is good now.
This discussion has been closed.