How do I get a report filtered by a specific category which also happens to be a transfer? (Q Mac)

Options
kmsga66
kmsga66 Member ✭✭
edited January 2023 in Reports (Mac)
I'm the treasurer for our small condo buildings and every month when condo fees are entered I split the transaction into 2 categories (operational expenses and reserve funding). The entry is also transferred to the condo unit register so it's easy to see who has paid and not paid their dues.

When I try to pull a summary report by year to show reserve funding (only category selected is "reserve funding") but the summary includes all categories and not just the one selected. Can transfers not be broken out by categories in reports?

Is there a better way of handling this with Quicken for easier reporting?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The short version of a long answer is that transactions shouldn't be entered as transfers with a category; transactions should be either a category (income or expense) or a transfer (movement of funds), not both. We've been told the program will be changed at some point to prevent users from entering a category on a transfer, because this violates the rules of accounting, but the developers haven't made that change yet. Unfortunately, transactions which have a category and transfer are likely to frustrate you because you won't be able to get the consistent reports you expect.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @kmsga66 - doesn't sound like you are turning off all the categories.  

Open the report, select categories tab, down at the bottom there is a check box for hidden categories, check that, now click the de-select all categories button and then simply select the reserve funding category

what happens? 
  • kmsga66
    kmsga66 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Only the 1 category is selected. The top level number is the combined transfer transaction but if you drill into it, it only shows the correct category and value.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The short version of a long answer is that transactions shouldn't be entered as transfers with a category; transactions should be either a category (income or expense) or a transfer (movement of funds), not both. We've been told the program will be changed at some point to prevent users from entering a category on a transfer, because this violates the rules of accounting, but the developers haven't made that change yet. Unfortunately, transactions which have a category and transfer are likely to frustrate you because you won't be able to get the consistent reports you expect.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.