Supposed new feature in Quicken [Real Time Quotes, Q Win Canada]

Danielle Dallaire
Danielle Dallaire Member ✭✭✭
:/
Hi !
I recently received the R45.18 version. I am in Canada, on Windows 10.
I was quite pleased to learn that we would be able to view Real Time quotes. Except that it doesn't work. Can't find the button to check or uncheck to get that feature. Here are some screenshots about the possibility and the "can't find the [Removed - Language] thing!"
Any help would be welcomed.
Have a nice day :)
Danielle

[Edited and Replaced Screenshot to Remove Email]

Best Answers

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you upgrade to Home & Business, the Investments section of Preferences will look like this:

I'm not sure what the difference is between automatically update quotes every 15 minutes and real time quotes. They are separate options, but I'm not certain of what different behaviour results from checking one versus the other versus both.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks to you all.
    I am very sad that both in the presentation of "what's new in this version" and what is shown in the "help" of my application are the same and never say that MY version is not included. Q shouldn't expose the new features if they don't apply to me. The text and the version should be the identical.
    Bye
    Danielle
    This has been a complaint in US threads too.

Personally, I think the feature is worthless.
    And note some people have said it doesn't seem to be really "real-time", more like "less than 15 minutes delay".

But why would one want a real-time quote?  The only time it is valuable is if you are going to use it for trading.  Well, you should never do that, you should be using your broker's real-time quote for that.

One might say that it is a basis for doing things like notifying you that a security has hit a certain price.  Quicken would be terrible for that, especially the way it is setup right now.  With Deluxe you have to request quotes manually.  Above that you can request to have Quicken get the quotes every 15 minutes.  And I don't even turn that on because when it runs it actually does it in the GUI disturbing what you are currently doing, instead of in the background.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The feature isn't in the Deluxe edition and below.
    Signature:
  • Arctic Hare
    Answer ✓
    If you upgrade to Home & Business, the Investments section of Preferences will look like this:

I'm not sure what the difference is between automatically update quotes every 15 minutes and real time quotes. They are separate options, but I'm not certain of what different behaviour results from checking one versus the other versus both.
  • Danielle Dallaire
    Danielle Dallaire Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks to you all.
    I am very sad that both in the presentation of "what's new in this version" and what is shown in the "help" of my application are the same and never say that MY version is not included. Q shouldn't expose the new features if they don't apply to me. The text and the version should be the identical.
    Bye
    Danielle
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks to you all.
    Bye
    Danielle

And note some people have said it doesn't seem to be really "real-time", more like "less than 15 minutes delay".

But why would one want a real-time quote?  The only time it is valuable is if you are going to use it for trading.  Well, you should never do that, you should be using your broker's real-time quote for that.

One might say that it is a basis for doing things like notifying you that a security has hit a certain price.  Quicken would be terrible for that, especially the way it is setup right now.  With Deluxe you have to request quotes manually.  Above that you can request to have Quicken get the quotes every 15 minutes.  And I don't even turn that on because when it runs it actually does it in the GUI disturbing what you are currently doing, instead of in the background.
    Signature:
  • Arctic Hare
    Chris_QPW said:
    Thanks to you all.
    Bye
    Danielle

Interesting - I have the feature turned on, but I have never seen it run. It seems to run silently in the background on my system as far as I can tell (Home & Business Canadian). It certainly doesn't bring the Quicken App to the foreground; there is no obvious sign that it runs.

I do agree that I don't really see much or any utility with the feature. I too would use the broker quote for buy/sell purposes.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't used it in years, so maybe they fixed the not running in the background problem.  Updating every 15 minutes is pretty useless to me at any rate.  When I want to see current prices, I have either run One Steup Update or I go to the Portfolio view and just select Update for quotes which just takes a second or two.
    Signature:
  • Arctic Hare
    Chris_QPW said:
    I haven't used it in years, so maybe they fixed the not running in the background problem.  Updating every 15 minutes is pretty useless to me at any rate.  When I want to see current prices, I have either run One Steup Update or I go to the Portfolio view and just select Update for quotes which just takes a second or two.
    We certainly agree on the uselessness point....
This discussion has been closed.