Adding categories to multiple transactions with blank category fields.

Options
Amazon credit card downloads don't have categories. In the payee field Amazon is spelled in different ways like, Amzn, Amazon.... I would like to categorize all these transactions with some generic name like, "Household." What's the best way to do this without having to enter the categories one at a time?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How about a FIND/REPLACE, where you'd have to do it once for AMZN and again for Amazon and then selecting the transactions that you want to replace and changing them to Household?
    If you're on a newer version of Q, you could even see if it would let you do a secondary search on the blank category field

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    You can do a single global search (or find & replace, etc.) for am..z..n.. and that should find them all. You could not only recategorize the transactions, you could edit all the payees to be identical while you're there.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Stephe36
    Stephe36 Member
    Options
    Both responses were partially correct because I did not know Quicken well and my question was too vague.

I needed to edit transactions in a given account and for that I needed to use "Edit" then "transactions." I was at that level able to search for blank categories.

Transaction edits enable you to work only on the account you have open, which was essebtial to what I needed.

Thanks to both of you for pointing me in the right direction.

Steve
This discussion has been closed.