How to adjust opening balance and prior transactions?

CamoFree
CamoFree Member ✭✭
How to download online banking transaction for date prior to opening balance. Setup was on 3/17/22 so opening balance was that date. I'd like to download back to 1/01/22. I need only enter missing transaction from 1/01/22 to 3/17/22

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you're able to selectively download only certain transactions - I think that's rare - then first make a backup of your current file and write down your Current Balance and Ending Balance (if you have entered "future" transactions in the register).  Then delete the 3/17/22 Opening Balance and download your 1/1/22 to 3/17/22 transactions.  Finally, make a new "Opening Balance" entry as of 12/31/21 that makes your Current and Ending Balances correct; it's a derived number, of course. 
    To make the Opening Balance entry, enter the necessary dollar amount and in the Category box enter the name of the Account you're working in, surrounded by square brackets: [Account Name].  This sort of "self-referential" style of entry will not effect any other Account or Category in your Quicken file.
  • Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    How far "back in time" you can download transactions is set by the Financial Institution and 90 days is a typical limit, but it does vary.  Too, some Financial institutions allow you to download transactions further back then their "usual" limit by downloading an OFX file.  You might see if that option is available. 
    You can also enter those missing transactions manually, if you have the needed information.  The process would be exactly the same as described in my original post.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @CamoFree

What are the name or names of the financial institutions involved?  We may be able to give you some specific advise if you want to share their name(s).

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    If you're able to selectively download only certain transactions - I think that's rare - then first make a backup of your current file and write down your Current Balance and Ending Balance (if you have entered "future" transactions in the register).  Then delete the 3/17/22 Opening Balance and download your 1/1/22 to 3/17/22 transactions.  Finally, make a new "Opening Balance" entry as of 12/31/21 that makes your Current and Ending Balances correct; it's a derived number, of course. 
    To make the Opening Balance entry, enter the necessary dollar amount and in the Category box enter the name of the Account you're working in, surrounded by square brackets: [Account Name].  This sort of "self-referential" style of entry will not effect any other Account or Category in your Quicken file.
  • CamoFree
    CamoFree Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the reply. I think I might have to create a new account with a 12/31/22 opening date. Hopefully one step update will download from that point. I'm not tech savvy.
  • Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    How far "back in time" you can download transactions is set by the Financial Institution and 90 days is a typical limit, but it does vary.  Too, some Financial institutions allow you to download transactions further back then their "usual" limit by downloading an OFX file.  You might see if that option is available. 
    You can also enter those missing transactions manually, if you have the needed information.  The process would be exactly the same as described in my original post.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @CamoFree

What are the name or names of the financial institutions involved?  We may be able to give you some specific advise if you want to share their name(s).

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• CamoFree
    CamoFree Member ✭✭
    I have all statements needed, that and a pot of coffee should do the trick.
    Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.