Investment account- Why is Market value and total asset different value?

Options
Sijidaegu
Sijidaegu Member ✭✭
edited January 2023 in Investing (Mac)
I have a Roth account and the bank does not do detailed tracking so I enter transaction manually (only 18 month). Why is the market value and total asset different? Total asset is the correct amount but the market value is $3k less and is what's shown on account balance (incorrect). Is there a way to change the market value to the same as total asset which is the correct balance.
Been using Mac quicken since Feb. Finding investment somewhat challenging but eager to learn and not rely on personal capital to calculate net worth.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sijidaegu said:
    I have a Roth account and the bank does not do detailed tracking so I enter transaction manually (only 18 month). Why is the market value and total asset different? Total asset is the correct amount but the market value is $3k less and is what's shown on account balance (incorrect). Is there a way to change the market value to the same as total asset which is the correct balance.
    Been using Mac quicken since Feb. Finding investment somewhat challenging but eager to learn and not rely on personal capital to calculate net worth.
    Hello @Sijidaegu,   

I am sorry about this confusion with differing values in Investments. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

The image attached to your comment seems somewhat unclear; is there any way you could upload another - still with private information redacted - that displays the amounts you are trying to show us? Also, have you already tried reconciling the account by clicking on the Reconcile button in the lower right-hand corner of the screen?

I look forward to your response. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Quicken Jared There is no reconcile feature for investment accounts, except for any cash portion. 

@Sijidaegu On the top of your Asset Allocation card, your screen shot shows "Negative values ignored". I've never seen that, but I suspect it's the source of your discrepancy. "Negative values ignored" shows up in the Dashboard legend if you have an account with a negative market value; do you have awn account which has a negative value?

For example, I created a test brokerage account. In that account, I entered a Buy transaction for 7 shares of Apple stock at a cost of $1,000. In the Portfolio, this account has a Market Value of -$8.03, the difference between the market value of my 7 shares of Apple stock currently (+$991.97) and the negative $1,000 cash balance, because I purchased the shares without transferring any cash into this account. 

So when I switch to the Dashboard view, like you were showing in your screenshot, the Market Value as of today does not match the Asset Allocation total:

If I now add a $1,000 transfer into the brokerage account, the cash value of the account goes back to zero, and the Dashboard's Market Value and Asset Allocation Total match, as they normally should:

I obviously can't see your data, but you should be looking for where there is a negative value in your investment account(s). If the negative value is incorrect, fix it and the two Dashboard values will agree; if there's a legitimate reason for having a negative value in an account, then understand that Quicken is correctly showing each of these totals correctly, and they aren't the same because of the negative cash value which is omitted from the Asset Allocation card.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.