what is in a specific update?

deathrs
deathrs Member ✭✭
When I log in to quicken, Quicken checks to see if there is an update or new version. Fine, but the screens goes by so fast and stop on the install "yes or no" page. This used to not be a problem for me, but with all the problems caused by the R45.xx versions, I no longer want to install without reviewing what is included in the update.
Is there a way to see what is included in a specific update, before I install?
Any progress on fixing R45.13?

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Click on "No" to prevent the installation. 

Then within Quicken you can go to Help > Release Notes.  You can also then update Quicken from within at Help > Check for Updates.

Or go to https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product.  You can also download the Mondo patch from this webpage to perform the Quicken version update.

Or search for it in this Community under Product Releases and Announcements,  Here is the one for R45.XX:  Windows R45.XX Release (US)  Often times there will be a link in here that you can click on to perform the update.

Did this answer your question?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    No difference.  A patch file will update the version and it is the only way the version can be updated until Quicken updates the downloadable main installation file to the latest version which doesn't happen all that often.  The normal routine when setting up Quicken is to download the main installation file and then use patch files (such as the Mondo Patch) to bring it up to the current version. 

FYI:  The Mondo Patch includes all the previous patches so if you are several versions behind you only need to download and install the Mondo Patch to bring your installation up to the latest version.  It also seems to me that there are fewer update issues encountered by using the Mondo Patch.  I usually recommend people update their system using the Mondo Patch instead of trying to update from within Quicken.

When there are version fixes they will be announced in Product Releases and Announcements as "hot fixes".  After a few days those hot fixes will be posted as a regular version Mondo Patch.  In both cases, they will update the version, just like any other patch.

R45.13 was released as a hot fix for R45.11 but it did not resolve all the issues and appears to have introduced a few of its own.  As of now there has been no hot fix announced for R45.13.  Not everyone is experiencing issues with R45.XX but there does appear to be some increased risk of issues being encountered.

You will note that I am still running R44.20.  I have been reluctant to update any further because of the issues identified with later versions.  I'd like for things to settle down a bit before I update further.

Some other SUs have said they are running R44.28 without issue.  Many of the SUs I communicate with and keep track of are of the same opinion and do not recommend updating past R44.28 at this time.  But if one does really want to update their version past R44.28, skip R45.11 and go directly to R45.13.

BTW, if you want to install an older version patch file instead of the current one (which is R45.13) you can get it from https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-subscription-patches.html.  The person who set up this site is a long time Quicken user who is still very active in this community.  There's a lot of other good resource information in that website as well.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Click on "No" to prevent the installation. 

Then within Quicken you can go to Help > Release Notes.  You can also then update Quicken from within at Help > Check for Updates.

Or go to https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product.  You can also download the Mondo patch from this webpage to perform the Quicken version update.

Or search for it in this Community under Product Releases and Announcements,  Here is the one for R45.XX:  Windows R45.XX Release (US)  Often times there will be a link in here that you can click on to perform the update.

Did this answer your question?

• deathrs
    deathrs Member ✭✭
    Thanks Boatnmaniac for the info. it is very helpful. Is there a difference between a version update and a Patch. I see the version updates such as R45.11 going to R45.13. I am wondering if there are patches or fixes to version R45.13 and if so can you see them seperately from a version revision. thanks again for your help.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    No difference.  A patch file will update the version and it is the only way the version can be updated until Quicken updates the downloadable main installation file to the latest version which doesn't happen all that often.  The normal routine when setting up Quicken is to download the main installation file and then use patch files (such as the Mondo Patch) to bring it up to the current version. 

FYI:  The Mondo Patch includes all the previous patches so if you are several versions behind you only need to download and install the Mondo Patch to bring your installation up to the latest version.  It also seems to me that there are fewer update issues encountered by using the Mondo Patch.  I usually recommend people update their system using the Mondo Patch instead of trying to update from within Quicken.

When there are version fixes they will be announced in Product Releases and Announcements as "hot fixes".  After a few days those hot fixes will be posted as a regular version Mondo Patch.  In both cases, they will update the version, just like any other patch.

R45.13 was released as a hot fix for R45.11 but it did not resolve all the issues and appears to have introduced a few of its own.  As of now there has been no hot fix announced for R45.13.  Not everyone is experiencing issues with R45.XX but there does appear to be some increased risk of issues being encountered.

You will note that I am still running R44.20.  I have been reluctant to update any further because of the issues identified with later versions.  I'd like for things to settle down a bit before I update further.

Some other SUs have said they are running R44.28 without issue.  Many of the SUs I communicate with and keep track of are of the same opinion and do not recommend updating past R44.28 at this time.  But if one does really want to update their version past R44.28, skip R45.11 and go directly to R45.13.

BTW, if you want to install an older version patch file instead of the current one (which is R45.13) you can get it from https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-subscription-patches.html.  The person who set up this site is a long time Quicken user who is still very active in this community.  There's a lot of other good resource information in that website as well.

• deathrs
    deathrs Member ✭✭
    Thank again, very helpful. For the record, I am running R44.28. I had updated to R45.7, then 45.11, then to 45.13. I had problems with securities mis match, bank transaction download was inconsistent, so I moved back to R44.28 and have no problems. Thanks again.
  • Boatnmaniac
    You are welcome.  Glad to hear you figured it out for yourself about which version to be on at this time.  Based upon what the other SUs who are running 44.28 are saying and now what you are saying I might just bump up to that from R44.20.

This discussion has been closed.