Positive balance in credit card account - should be negative

Dave Harris
Dave Harris Member ✭✭
I recently added a new credit card account to my Quicken files. I download and update my transactions on a bi-weekly time frame. My issue is that the purchases I make show as a positive number in the bottom online balance and the ending balance is a negative balance. I have run the file validation and all is good. I have a screenshot however I can't seem to find where or how to post it. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @dave Harris
    If you right click on the account in the Accounts pane and click on Edit/delete account, what does it indicate for "Account Type"?
  • Dave Harris
    Dave Harris Member ✭✭
    It was one of the first things I did when first troubleshooting this it is identified as a "credit" acct. I compared all of the parameters to my other 5 credit card accts and cannot find any difference. Very unusual. I have been a Quicken user for over 20 years so familiar with the normal pitfalls. Thanks for helping at this point I will take any and all suggestions.
  • Dave Harris
    Dave Harris Member ✭✭
    I found an identical problem from a user that had started to use a President Choice credit card, it is the same credit card as this issue. I am now wondering if it is in the data that is being downloaded but that seems to be a bit of a reach. The original poster was from 2019 so a bit dated. No resolution message was attached so couldn't use the info.
  • Arctic Hare
    I found an identical problem from a user that had started to use a President Choice credit card, it is the same credit card as this issue. I am now wondering if it is in the data that is being downloaded but that seems to be a bit of a reach. The original poster was from 2019 so a bit dated. No resolution message was attached so couldn't use the info.
    I think it is likely the President Choice Credit Card. I actually seem to vaguely remember that issue/discussion. I would use the Report a Problem feature in Quicken and also have a phone session with Quicken Support. That being said, the issue affects so few users it will likely take a very long time, if ever, to get it addressed.

You could review the log files and thereby prove that the transactions or the account settings are revered for that account, but that sill isn't a fix.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You can attach a screenshot by dragging and dropping the image in the comment box.

Note in almost 100% cases of people report that they are getting positive numbers for purchases in their credit card is because they have a bad/extra deposit transaction that turns the balance positive.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Arctic Hare
    edited December 2022
    Chris_QPW said:
    You can attach a screenshot by dragging and dropping the image in the comment box.

Note in almost 100% cases of people report that they are getting positive numbers for purchases in their credit card is because they have a bad/extra deposit transaction that turns the balance positive.
    I don't doubt that bad/extra entry is the explanation most of the time; I also don't doubt that there are problems with the Presidents Choice Card. There have been extensive problems with that FI discussed in the forum and I don't recall anyone saying those problems ever got resolved. It could cut either way. It's purely a gamble, but in this case I place a blind bet on there being an issue with the FI. I've never seen anyone post that President's Choice Financial plays well with Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If this is Web Connect/QFX file, it would be easy to prove one way or another.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Dave Harris
    Dave Harris Member ✭✭
    Here is the screenshot I mentioned.
  • Arctic Hare
    Here is the screenshot I mentioned.
    The screenshot demonstrates that the error is with the online balance, not with the transactions and not with an bad/extra transaction entry in Quicken.

The charges show as negative entries (normal) and this is also reflected (normally) in the balance in Quicken. However, the online balance should also be negative and it is positive (abnormal). The issue seems to be in how the online balance amount is being reported in the data sent by President's Choice Financial.
  • Dave Harris
    Dave Harris Member ✭✭
    Artic Hare sorry for the delay ... thanks for your reply. I have done some more research and it appears that this is the only cause of my problem. I will continue to manually clear the entries and limit my use of the card. You are a great resource and excellent communicator and thank you for that. Have a great New Year and take care. Dave
This discussion has been closed.