Can’t fix share balance

BrianGluck
BrianGluck Member ✭✭
edited January 2023 in Investing (Windows)
When I look at the Investing Dashboard, in the total value table, it shows me having -0.000003 shares of a security which I sold 2 years ago. When I look at the Security Detail View, it shows exactly 0 shares. If I try to adjust the share balance or change my final share transaction, it will then show 0 shares in the Dashboard, but the the Security Detail View is wrong. Any ideas how to correct this?
Tagged:

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try going to the final Sold transaction for that security and checking the Sell all shares box rather than a specific number of shares. If you have held the security in multiple accounts, you may need to do that in all the accounts.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • BrianGluck
    BrianGluck Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion. I only ever had it in one account so I tried clicking that now in the transaction, but on the Dashboard it still shows the fractional share.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    At any time were you acquiring shares (buys or reinvestments) where you were letting Quicken compute the shares with you providing the total cost and price?  That can lead to Quicken taking number of shares to higher precision than necessary. Example: a $123.45 dividend reinvested at $10.89 per share might become 11.336088 shares. Better is buying 11.336 shares at $10.890085 per share or 11.3361 at $10.88999.   

Some spits, mergers or conversions can also lead to excessive precision. 

If the Sell All did not work, my next step would be editing the share count on those types of transactions. (Actually, I make sure all my acquisitions are to 3-decimal precision to begin with.) 
  • BrianGluck
    BrianGluck Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion. There were annual splits that resulted in some shares with the over-precision you mentioned. I went and corrected all of them to be only 3 digits for any that were more than that. When I was done, my shares in the Security Detail View again showed exactly 0, but the Investing Dashboard shows -0.000004 shares.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing you might try would be in the final sale, reduce the number of shares sold by .000004 

Please don't keep rejecting answers, we are trying to help. You can just reply with a comment that says what happened.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • BrianGluck
    BrianGluck Member ✭✭
    Sorry. I didn’t realize I was not responding properly by saying that “no” to the prompt in the interface for answering the question. I’ll stop that now. I tried adjusting the final sale as you recommended and that corrects the Investing Dashboard but now it thinks I have a holding of 0.000004 shares left in my account. If I fix it in one place, it shows wrong in the other place.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    By chance after any of these attempted fixes, did you purposely exit and restart Quicken?  I’d point the finger at the dashboard and am thinking it may not be properly reacting to or recomputing after some changes. 
  • BrianGluck
    BrianGluck Member ✭✭
    I had tried the restart after the first attempt to fix but not after the others, so I tried that now but it did not resolve the issue.
This discussion has been closed.