Can't access my data files (using Q 2016)

I have data files in my 2016 Quicken Home & Business that I now can't access. I'm getting message that my profile/login is invalid. I've tried to use "forgot password" but I just get in a loop saying that site is invalid. I know that 2016 is old enough to be retired but it works just fine for my purposes and I have numerous data files that I need to access. How to handle this situation?? I really need these files!

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did you last successfully access the files? Has anything changed in the interim, i.e., a new computer? 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Saras0821
    Saras0821 Member
    YES. COMPUTER CRASHED & HAD TO REBUILD AND REINSTALLED QUICKEN 2016. (OS = WINDOWS 10 PRO)
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    @Saras0821 - Since your computer crashed I am assuming that you do not have a way to access the hard drive from it.  If you do, try to find and copy the Quicken.ini file from it and then save it to your rebuilt one.  Maybe that will work.  There is no guarantee that it will but it would be worth trying.

If you cannot access that Quicken.ini file from the crashed hard drive, then I'm sorry to say that the only way I know of to regain access to your data files is to subscribe to Quicken.  You can buy your subscription from Quicken.com or you can buy it from a retailer like Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon or Costco.  Look around because you would be a new subscriber and there often are 30%-40% discounts available for new subscribers. 
    • Quicken does have a 30-day money back guarantee so you can try it out to see if you like it.
    • After 1 year, when the subscription expires, you can decide whether or not to renew it.  
    • If you decide not to renew it you will be able to continue using it manually (no online services like downloading transactions, downloading stock prices, getting future program version updates, etc.) but you will lose about 20%-25% of your screen to a banner reminding you to renew.  That banner cannot be removed unless you resubscribe.  This bothers some people a lot and others don't seem to mind it too much.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Saras0821
    Saras0821 Member
    I can 'open' my data files, but the "overlay" that wants a quicken ID then opens on top of the data file and won't allow me access to it without the ID! Is there anyway to disable that ID screen?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is why you need the Quicken.ini file from the old hard drive...or you need to subscribe.  Either of these will allow you to complete the login process so you can then access the data in the files.

There is another thread about someone wanting to do what you want to do with Quicken 2015.  A little different because the ID initially needed for that is an Inuit ID that needs to be updated to a Quicken ID but once it's all said and done it still came down to the needing the old Quicken.ini file.  You can read that thread here:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7922052/reinstalling-quicken-2015

There are several other threads of people wanting to reinstall various pre-subscription versions running into this exact same issue.  The issue is that Quicken no longer supports those versions so reinstalling them causes them to not function.  The only way around that is to use that old Quicken.ini file or to upgrade to subscription. 

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.