on the question of CD maturing,

Lynn Hampton
Lynn Hampton Member ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Investing (Windows)
the chat recommended changing the deposit to sell, I did this, and now my account balance increased by app 7 million. That looks nice but is not right. My account balance should have been reduced by $25000, the value of the matured CD. HELP, thanks

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to guess that you messed up the sell since that's all that changed.  I take it the CD was held in an Investment Account since that allows for entering a sale?  Typically, you'll have no gain or loss on the maturity of a CD, but it sounds like you created a gain on the sale; that would increase the balance in the Account.
  • Lynn Hampton
    Lynn Hampton Member ✭✭
    HI Tom, thanks for answering. Yes the CD is in my Schwab account. I understood community recommendation was to change the deposit action to sell. Magically $6,250,000 was added to the original investments which is 250 $25000 cds. I think quicken picked up the interest payments of $250. All the new transaction were dated at the time of purchase in 2016. I tried Quicken support, but it appears they are in a war room because there was so much noise I could not hear the tech support person. Since I could not delete the transaction, it seems I have to go to a back up file. (not fun because I have been on holiday for over two weeks and just updated every account) I know, my problem. Thanks for listening. If you have any other ideas, please let me know. Lynn
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, there's no way that $250 interest payments could amount to over $6 million unless you opened this CD back before the revolutionary war. :)
    I take it that that you're relying on downloads to enter transactions and you had the CD as a security in the Account?  Assuming that all interest was paid at maturity then two transactions would all that would be required.  You could use an "Inc - Income (Div, Int, etc.)" action for the interest and then a sale for the maturity amount. Assuming the cost basis was the same as the maturity then all that would happen is the maturity amount would appear as "proceeds" (cash) in the Account. 
  • Lynn Hampton
    Lynn Hampton Member ✭✭
    HI Tom, thanks for your interest. I backed up the files to before the actual transaction, then watched what happened. I just finished sending the files to Quicken to report problems. For now, Quicken is limiting my purchase of CDs from Schwab. It seems there was a problem with Schwab in recent history, maybe Quicken and Schwab have connection problems? My solution: Send to Quicken, see if there tech team is any better than their help desk, with so much background noise that you might as well be at an exciting volleyball game where noise is constant. 2nd. find a better investment tracking software,. Maybe it is too much to expect Quicken to do checking and investments. They are quite different. I will let you know if I get any response, which I am not holding out for. And yes, after trying to figure this out, following cash balances, and investment balances, I am a bit skeptical.
This discussion has been closed.