Q: How can I force split items to show as individual entries in a transfer asset account?

drew2u
drew2u Member ✭✭✭
Question: In an asset account is there a way to view individual line items from a split transaction recorded in a different account? 

Here's my situation: I am cleaning up all transactions related to my video purchases and created a new asset account named [Video Collection] with the intent that I will use search/replace to find existing video categories and replace with new tags (VHS, DVD, HD DVD, Blu-ray, 4K) then do a search/replace to change category to the new [Video Collection] account.  Reports weren't cutting it for me in my goal to catalog my collection in a new external video collection program, so the goal was to be able to see all my video purchase in one register where I can interactively sort by any column and clean up the memos, mark them cleared in this register when I've cataloged them in the external program, etc. 

It's worked great for purchases where there's exactly one video purchased.

But the problem is that when I have a purchase with multiple splits where more than one is assigned the category of [Video Collection], when I go to the Video Collection asset account it only shows the grand total for that purchase and I can't see the individual line items from the purchase in this asset account.

Example:

In [CreditCard] account, enter a new transaction:
Payee="Test"
Memo="Add 4 splits"
Charge=110.00
SPLIT:
1. Category=[Video Collection]; Memo="line 1"; Amount = 1.00
2. Category=[Video Collection]; Memo="line 2"; Amount = 2.00
3. Category=[Video Collection]; Memo="line 3"; Amount = 3.00
4. Category=[Video Collection]; Memo="line 4"; Amount = 4.00
5. Category=[Video Collection]; Memo="line 5 (zero)"; Amount = 0.00
6. Category=[House:Electronics]; Memo="something else"; Amount = 100.00
SPLIT TOTAL: 110.00
TRANSACTION TOTAL: 110.00

In the [Video Collection] asset account this shows up as:
Payee="Test"
Memo="line 1" << the memo from the first line of the split
Category=[CreditCard]
Increase=10.00 << the sum of the split line items for [Video collection] transfers
Amount=10.00

And there's NO INIDICATION in the Asset account that this is a sum from a split from the transfer account, so I find it misleading that it doesn't reflect that here, and that it uses the memo from line 1 of the split versus the credit card memo from the transaction itself.

What I want to see in my [Video Collection] asset account is the individual line items from that split, and I can't see why it won't do this.

I will never reconcile the asset account, there's no loan associated with it, so is there a way to force Quicken to show the individual line items in the asset account?

If not, I'll have to undo everything and go back to standalone categories and reports, which is not ideal for me...

Appreciate any input.

Thanks.
Drew

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try using different TAGS for VHS, DVD etc.  Then they'll show up in the Video Collection account as separate items.
    I use this technique to separate the components of my mortgage escrow account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use DVD Profiler for this.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• drew2u
    drew2u Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks @NotACPA, I do have different tags created, but even when applied to a split with three line items in my Credit Card transaction using those new tags, in the Asset account "Video Collection" it still only shows the grand total from the transaction, not the individual line items... 
  • drew2u
    drew2u Member ✭✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel, I'm using DVD Profiler - as I mentioned in my first post I'm cataloging my purchases to a separate software product, and this is it!  I need to get my purchase dates, places, and amounts out of Quicken, so that prompted me trying to create a single register (the asset account) that has all of my past purchases from various other spending accounts captured in it so everything is in one place. 

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, If you enter a split transaction and some of the categories are Transfers to the same Account  it will lump all them together and make 1 transaction in the Transfer Account.

Could you enter each line of the split as a separate transaction in the credit card account?  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• drew2u
    drew2u Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @volvogirl, that's an option for the future, to enter each item individually, but for my historical transactions that's a lot of work to try do... my oldest video purchase captured is X-Files on VHS in 1998!  I think this would also cause issues when reconciling the credit card statement, as the credit card would show a single total but with your proposal all items from that purchase would be captured individually.

I think I'll be undoing my changes - the good news is that search/replace works well. It's unfortunate it didn't simply let me show the splits as individual transactions in the target account (my asset "Video Collection" account) - that would have made life so easy for me with my side cataloging project!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    drew2u said:
    Thanks @NotACPA, I do have different tags created, but even when applied to a split with three line items in my Credit Card transaction using those new tags, in the Asset account "Video Collection" it still only shows the grand total from the transaction, not the individual line items... 
    Curious,  because using different tags sure work for me.
    The 1st graphic is in my checking account and the 2nd in the Escrow account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.