Quicken reporting more shares than I have, how can I rectify?

Nub1975
Nub1975 Member ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I have 576 shares of a stock. The number of shares reported on my Portfolio View, the transaction log and on the Dashboard is 576. However, after an update the number of shares Quicken says that I have is 1300 and asks if I want to create a placeholder. I don't need a placeholder, I have 576 shares. Where does the problem lie? How can I rectify the issue?

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume what you're saying here is that the broker/financial institution is reporting that you have 1,300 shares?  If so, then this sort of mismatch has been widely reported, it seems to be a Quicken bug.  Simply close the window, don't accept the placeholder.  There's nothing else that you can do.
  • Nub1975
    Nub1975 Member ✭✭
    So Quicken thinks that the broker is reporting that I have 1300 shares? My brokerage account holdings shows that I have 576. Thanks for your insight.....
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nub1975 said:
    So Quicken thinks that the broker is reporting that I have 1300 shares? My brokerage account holdings shows that I have 576. Thanks for your insight.....
    Yes.  Quicken has (most likely) processed all the transactions correctly and has the right data.  But when it then does the Compare process, it processes other info from the brokerage incorrectly (getting the 1300 somewhere) and concludes there is a mismatch.  You have done the right thing independently doing the comparison thereby confirming the data is correct.   
This discussion has been closed.