Naming of a mutual fund and conflict with downloads

Options
Nalgas
Nalgas Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2023 in Investing (Windows)
Good morning
We own a T Rowe mutual fund in several of our accounts, both taxable and not.
I chose years ago to rename the security as MF - T Rowe Etc etc.
In one of my wife's accounts, I get a mismatch every time that I update in that Quicken reports X shares in MF - TRowe Price Blah fund, but it downloaded the same X shares in T ROWE PRICE BLAH FUND (spelled out with the full name).

I resolve it by clicking "Ignore for now", but how can I suppress that name mismatch?
Thank you

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    a) Does your security list (Ctrl-Y) include the T ROWE PRICE BLAH FUND?

b) If yes, w
    hen you look at the Security Details for that fund, is it checked off as Matched with online security? 

c) When you look at the Security Details for your 
    MF - TRowe Price Blah fund, does it check off as Matched with online security?

d) Does this only happen in the one of your wife's accounts and not in other accounts that you download?    
  • Nalgas
    Nalgas Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    q_lurker said:
    a) Does your security list (Ctrl-Y) include the T ROWE PRICE BLAH FUND?

b) If yes, when you look at the Security Details for that fund, is it checked off as Matched with online security? 

c) When you look at the Security Details for your MF - TRowe Price Blah fund, does it check off as Matched with online security?

d) Does this only happen in the one of your wife's accounts and not in other accounts that you download?    
    thanks Lurk
    The answers
    a) Yes
    b) yes
    c) yes
    d) Correct. It only happens in my daughter's account. I meant to say that in the original post.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    e) Is your daughter's account in the same Quicken file as the other accounts, or does she have her own Quicken file?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Nalgas
    Nalgas Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    e) Is your daughter's account in the same Quicken file as the other accounts, or does she have her own Quicken file?
    Hi Jim
    Her account is in the same file as the others.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a) and b) -- Why do you have the brokerage version "T ROWE PRICE BLAH FUND" in your security list?  Do you (or did you) own shares under that name in any accounts now or before?  If never, you should be able to delete that security from your security list.  

The next step would be to uncheck the "Matched with online security" box for the "
    MF - TRowe Price Blah fund" version of the fund.  With your next download, you would then have the chance to Match the brokerage version to your version.  I don't know what real world security this version is currently matching to and this step resets that match.  

The basic policy should be one Quicken security associates to one real world security.  The names do not have to match.  The ticker symbol should match.  The CUSIP id is the real match point.
  • Nalgas
    Nalgas Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    q_lurker said:
    a) and b) -- Why do you have the brokerage version "T ROWE PRICE BLAH FUND" in your security list?  Do you (or did you) own shares under that name in any accounts now or before?  If never, you should be able to delete that security from your security list.  

The next step would be to uncheck the "Matched with online security" box for the "MF - TRowe Price Blah fund" version of the fund.  With your next download, you would then have the chance to Match the brokerage version to your version.  I don't know what real world security this version is currently matching to and this step resets that match.  

thank you Lurk.
    The T ROWE PRICE BlAH security got recorded/saved at one point, and then I renamed it after.
    I will do this and report, and it should take care of the issue.
  • Nalgas
    Nalgas Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    q_lurker said:

The next step would be to uncheck the "Matched with online security" box for the "MF - TRowe Price Blah fund" version of the fund.  With your next download, you would then have the chance to Match the brokerage version to your version.  I don't know what real world security this version is currently matching to and this step resets that match.  

The basic policy should be one Quicken security associates to one real world security.  The names do not have to match.  The ticker symbol should match.  The CUSIP id is the real match point.
    Ok, an update
    I did this back in January:
    a. deleted T Rowe Price Blah
    b. Unmatched MF TRowe Blah
    I don't remember what happened, but both securities ended up back on the security list, and I was forced to click Ignore for now.

TODAY:
    I repeated the above steps, updated, and didn't get the message. I see that MF TRowe has the Matched box checked off, but not by any action of mine.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, the matched box only gets checked by Quicken getting the association that the XYZ security at the brokerage (CUSIP 123456789) ties to Quicken security xYz Fund. The checkbox getting checked is program controlled. The user has the ability to uncheck the box breaking that association. 

Is your issue resolved now?
This discussion has been closed.