"How much did I pay to...?" - Report Settings Excludes Many Payees

DDub
DDub Member ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Reports (Windows)
I am running a report to review previous payments to a specific PAYEE. In creating this report, there is a drop-down menu titled "Show Payments To" which populates with a listing of all of the Payees used in transactions. However, many PAYEEs are missing from the drop-down menu -- including the one I am interested in -- so I am unable to generate the report I need.

Steps I'm taking:

1. Clicking Reports > Easy Answer > How much did I pay to
2. Settings: "For the period" = Earliest to Date
3. Setting: "Show Payments To" drop-down menu - I am looking for "Gilman Heating" so I am reviewing the options under Letter-G. Gilman Heating does not appear and a quick review shows that *at least* four G-Payees are missing (Georgia Law, General Vascular, Gilman Heating and Cooling, Ginger Red, etc.). I didn't do a thorough check of what other Payees are missing. Bottom line is that some are!

Why? Is this a bug?

FWIW - If I use a different report, the PAYEE drop-down menu does include additional PAYEES. For example, Reports > Spending / Spending by Payee includes many that are excluded from the Easy Answer/Payee report.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are right, it appears that the list of Payees shown in the "How much did I pay to" EasyAnswer report is very limited. It may have something to do with the maximum number of items that can be shown in the dropdown box control. 

This "EasyAnswer" report is really just showing a customized version of the standard Banking > Banking Transaction report. I suggest you go directly to that report, click on the gear at the top right to customize it, and select the Payee you want on the Payees tab.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vaguely that in some cases for some reports that list is only populated with payees used in the last X-months, X being 6 or 12 or something the user has no control over.
    Have you used that omitted payee recently?  
    How long ago?  
    If you add in a recent transaction to that payee, does it appear in the list?
  • DDub
    DDub Member ✭✭
    q_lurker - Yes, I have used several of those payees in the last 30 days. I was hoping to compare the most recent charge to previous charges for the same service. I tested it, like you suggested, adding a new transaction and that new Payee name does *not* appear in the drop-down menu.
  • DDub
    DDub Member ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > You are right, it appears that the list of Payees shown in the "How much did I pay to" EasyAnswer report is very limited. It may have something to do with the maximum number of items that can be shown in the dropdown box control. 
    >
    > This "EasyAnswer" report is really just showing a customized version of the standard Banking > Banking Transaction report. I suggest you go directly to that report, click on the gear at the top right to customize it, and select the Payee you want on the Payees tab.

Thanks for the reply. It's helpful to get feedback from others to confirm the issue. The "Banking > Banking Transaction report" is a nice alternative. Thanks for reminding me of that option.
This discussion has been closed.