Can I safely delete certain files?

Options
Dudley
Dudley Member ✭✭
I do a full backup of my Quicken files using the date option. Then, to save disk space, I delete the older Quicken .QDF files I no longer want.
However, I have a lot of other, and older, Quicken files on my computer that I want to know if I can delete. The file extensions are: .EML, .QEL, .IDX, .QPH, .NPC, .ABD, .QMD, and .QTX.
Can these files be deleted, and if so, what limits should I follow?
Thanks for your help!

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What version (year) of Quicken are you using?  (Help->About Quicken)

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Dudley
    Dudley Member ✭✭
    Options
    Previously I looked all over to find my Quicken version and could not find it, but you solved the mystery! Thanks! Here's the info: Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property; Version R46.12; Build 27.1.46.12; Windows 11 Enterprise. Hope this answers your question!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Based on R46.12, you are running subscription Quicken, the current general release version of Quicken.  The data file has a .QDF file extension and the backups will have a .QDF-backup extension.
    Files with ".QEL, .IDX, .QPH, and .QMD" extensions are from before Quicken 2010 when Quicken moved to a unified single file data file.  You can make a copy of them if you want before you delete them but they are old and no longer needed.
    .ABD is the Address Book, so don't delete it/them.
    .QTX, .EML, NPC - I don't know what they are used by, so I can't advise you on them.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Dudley
    Dudley Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for your help and advice! I'll give it a shot, and hopefully not get shot!!!! (Sorry!) I found out on the web that the .EML file has to do with email, but I won't be deleting it. Thanks again for your help!!!!
This discussion has been closed.