Tax Planner

Wayne Daren
Wayne Daren Member ✭✭✭
Anyone else notice that it doesn't hold preferences like whether to use actual data + scheduled vs the daily average to date? I can set the preference, leave it, and come back to find the wrong setting again.

Since the population is getting older, how about a dedicated section to set up RMD's correctly.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Hi @Wayne Daren - Which version of Quicken are you using?  If you are not using R46.12 you might want to consider updating to it because it includes 2023 updates to tax rates/brackets, Tax Planner and the Tax Reports.  I suggest downloading and updating with the Mondo Patch instead of from within Quicken because IMO using the Mondo Patch seems to update more reliably and with fewer potential issues.  You can download the Mondo Patch from Quicken for Windows: Manual Mondo Patch Update [Support Article].
    Also, regarding RMDs:  If you have not already done so you might want to read the New Idea posted about this subject...Improve handling of IRA distributions, including QCDs and Roth conversions.  After reading it and if you agree with it please vote for it.  The more people who vote for an idea the more likely it is that Quicken will add it to their product development plan.  You can vote for it as shown in the example in this picture:

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• hornet96
    hornet96 Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > If you are not using R46.12 you might want to consider updating to it because it includes 2023 updates to tax rates/brackets, Tax Planner and the Tax Reports.  I suggest downloading and updating with the Mondo Patch instead of from within Quicken because IMO using the Mondo Patch seems to update more reliably and with fewer potential issues. 

FYI, the mondo patch doesn't really fix anything. I downloaded and installed it, and the tax planner (for 2023 selections) is still broken. Totals for wages, withholdings, etc. don't add up to the amounts in your scheduled transactions (shown in the box within tax planner), and when you toggle back and forth between using quicken data from "scheduled bills & deposits" and another option, it seems to fix the estimated amounts for a moment - however, as soon as you try to do the same thing for another tax item and/or close the window, it reverts back to completely wrong figures.

TL/DR: As of January 18, tax planner is still completely broken for 2023.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    hornet96 said:
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > If you are not using R46.12 you might want to consider updating to it because it includes 2023 updates to tax rates/brackets, Tax Planner and the Tax Reports.  I suggest downloading and updating with the Mondo Patch instead of from within Quicken because IMO using the Mondo Patch seems to update more reliably and with fewer potential issues. 

FYI, the mondo patch doesn't really fix anything. I downloaded and installed it, and the tax planner (for 2023 selections) is still broken. Totals for wages, withholdings, etc. don't add up to the amounts in your scheduled transactions (shown in the box within tax planner), and when you toggle back and forth between using quicken data from "scheduled bills & deposits" and another option, it seems to fix the estimated amounts for a moment - however, as soon as you try to do the same thing for another tax item and/or close the window, it reverts back to completely wrong figures.

TL/DR: As of January 18, tax planner is still completely broken for 2023.
    If you have not already done so, I suggest that you report this issue you are seeing to Quicken....either via Phone or Chat (https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support) or via Help > Report a Problem.
    Thanks for the feedback on R46.12 regarding 2023 TP.  I am still running R44.20 so I cannot see yet if I might also have this same issue.
    I have, however, seen in previous years (in most years if my recollection is correct) what you described for the 1st couple of months of each new year.  Then it suddenly seems to no longer be an issue and we never find out why.  So maybe this is not an issue specific to any particular version but an issue with the TP code that has never been fixed? 
    BTW, R46.12 does fix somethings with TP.  Prior to this version: 
    • TP would show 2023 as a selection but it could not be selected so there would be no projection for 2023 in TP at all. 
    • TP did show 2022 but the data in it would show some 2023 data (not all) and some 2022 data and return really inaccurate 2022 projections.  There was a workaround to fix this but it only good for that session and the next time the file was opened again the workaround would need to be used, again.
    • It is also my understanding that TP has been updated to include the new 2023 tax rates/tax code information.
    FYI, I have seen a few posts by people who have updated to R46.12 stating that transactions with category splits are losing the categories when there are 10 or more categories in the split.  So far I am not seeing many people posting about this but perhaps that might be because I think most people do not have split category transactions with that many categories in them so this issue would not be affecting them.  If you have split category transactions with a lot of categories in them you might want to see if that might be contributing to the issues you are seeing with 2023 TP.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I see some strange behavior also. Sometimes closing the Planner and reopening it works. Sometimes closing and reopening Quicken works. Validate/Super-validate can help as well as in the Planner menu, Reset Tax Planner.

For the most part, once you get it set up, it remains pretty stable. If you can consistently re-create an issue, include those steps and a sanitized data file in your problem report. You might get a response if you present a reproducible problem.
This discussion has been closed.