Relocating from Old Mac Pro (OS 10.14) to newer Mac mini (OS 13.1)

wayne rr
wayne rr Member ✭✭
Since Quicken is about to stop data uploading for OS 10.14, I am being forced to transfer my Quicken Premier 6.11.3 from my old Mac Pro to my newer Mac mini running OS 13.1.
How can I do this ??

Answers

• wayne rr
    wayne rr Member ✭✭
    Mac Pro (Mid 2010) has been a workhorse.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2023
    Instead of trying to move the app, I'd just log in to your Quicken.com account from the new Mac & download the installer.

To move your data file, open it in Quicken on the old Mac & from the File menu select "Show ... in Finder", then close Quicken. Right click on the file in the Finder window & select "Compress". Copy the resulting .zip file to your new Mac by whatever means you prefer. Place it wherever you want the file to be stored on the new Mac (the default location is /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Documents) and double-click on it to uncompress it (you can then delete the .zip file). Double-click on the uncompressed file to open it in Quicken.

If you have any accounts connected for online access, you'll have to re-enter the passwords the first time you update accounts on the new Mac.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't think data downloads will stop for users of macOS Mojave too soon. What they've said is that the next release of Quicken Mac (6.12) will be the last for Mojave. When the next release after that (6.13 or 7.0) comes out, users on Mojave will simply remain on version 6.12. At some unknown point in the future, something with downloads will break with version 6.12  but until then, you can continue with your current macOS if you want. 

But as you note, your 13 year-old computer is reaching the end of its life, or at least compatibility with recent software. Fortunately, moving Quicken to your Mac Mini should be quite easy. You have to copy two files to the Mini: the Quicken application, and your Quicken data file. (And possibly your folder of backups.) The key to moving the data file is to make sure you move only a compressed copy of the data file: either a .quickenbackup backup copy or a .zip compressed copy you make in the Finder (File > Compress). This prevents file and folder permission inside the data file from getting messed up moving between two Macs. It's probably not as necessary for the application, but for safety you can also make a .zip compressed copy of the Quicken.app application before moving it. For the actual moving of the files, you can use AirDrop if the two computer are near each other, or a thumb drive, file sharing, or even email.

On the new Mac, launch Quicken the first time by double-clicking on the data file. (If you double-click on the application, Quicken may not automatically locate the correct data file to open.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more thing:

The preferences for Quicken will be at their default settings after moving (or installing) Quicken on a new computer.

You will want to carefully review each tab of the Quicken > Preferences... window. There are a lot of tabs so make sure you review all of them. This will be easiest if the displays of the two computer are close by to allow comparing the old with the new installation.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • jacobs
    Good point, @lhossus. It is possible to move the Quicken Preferences file from the old Mac to the new Mac, but since we're not privy to all it contains, and some odd things with preferences have been reported when people have upgraded operating systems, I do not recommend moving the preferences file from the old Mac to the new one. (And that's why I didn't mention it, or detail how to do it, in my original reply above.)  I think it's better to allow Quicken to generate a new preferences file on the new Mac, and to adjust your preference settings in the Quicken application.
  • rachelgomez
    rachelgomez Member ✭✭
    Move from a PC to a Mac. If you’re new to Mac and want to transfer from a Windows computer, see Transfer info from a PC to Mac in the macOS User Guide and the Apple Support article Move your data from a Windows PC to your Mac.

Transfer wirelessly. If you didn’t transfer your data when you first set up your Mac mini, you can use Migration Assistant at any time. Open a Finder window, go to Applications, open the Utilities folder, then double-click Migration Assistant and follow the onscreen instructions. Make sure both computers are connected to the same network, and keep the computers near each other throughout the migration process.

A MacBook Pro and a Mac mini both displaying the Migration Assistant screen. An arrow from the MacBook Pro to the Mac mini implies the transfer of data from one to the other.
    If you used Time Machine to back up your files from another Mac to a storage device (such as an external disk), you can copy the files from the device to your Mac mini. See Back up and restore your Mac.

Copy files from a storage device. Connect the storage device to a USB-A port the USB icon or Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port the Thunderbolt icon on your Mac mini, then drag files from the storage device to your Mac mini.

Restore your content. To learn how to restore your Mac from a Time Machine or other backup, see the Apple Support article Restore your Mac from a backup.

Regards,
    Rachel Gomez
  • jacobs
    @rachelgomez Your reply is a bunch of copy-and-paste from Apple Support articles, but has nothing to do with the question which was asked about moving Quicken between two existing Macs.
This discussion has been closed.