Why can't I open my Quicken 2015 on my new computer

irbenton
irbenton Member
My computer crashed and I have installed my Quicken 2015 software on my new computer. It installed buy I cannot open it. Keeps giving me errors when I try to log in.

Best Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    If Quicken is asking for an Intuit ID, you need to download/install the R17.4 Mondo patch from Quicken 2015 Patches - QuicknPerlWiz 

Then you need to copy the C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Intuit\Config\QUICKEN.INI file from your laptop to your desktop.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • irbenton
    irbenton Member
    Answer ✓
    Greg the Geek - I am going to try and follow your instructions now. I was in hopes my computer geek would be in town to help me but need to go ahead and try. Should I have the 2015 Quicken already installed before I start your instructions?
    Thank you.

Answers

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to install Mondo Patch 17.4

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Greg_the_Geek
    After upgrading to the latest patch version of 2016, you need to copy the QUICKEN.ini file from your old computer. See: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20316265
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    After upgrading to the latest patch version of 2016, you need to copy the QUICKEN.ini file from your old computer. See: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20316265
    but it crashed....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Greg_the_Geek
    The OP might still be able to remove the hard drive and connect it to the new computer using a USB cable. It's the only way to get Quicken 2015 to function on the new computer.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    irbenton said:  My computer crashed and I have installed my Quicken 2015 software on my new computer. 
    Do you have access to the old hard drive ? 
    Do you have a Quicken Backup to use on the new computer ? 
    As mentioned above, to get Q2015 working, you will need to grab some Quicken config files from your old hard drive. 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @irbenton - If your old hard drive is toast and you cannot retrieve the needed Quicken config files from it, then I'm afraid your only option to access your data files will be to upgrade to subscription.  You can save some money on the subscription cost if you look for one of the common "New Subscriber" offers on Quicken.com or from retail outlets like Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• irbenton
    irbenton Member
    Thank you for all the help. I am still trying to open quicken but have failed. I can get it installed but it asks for the intuit ID and i can't find it written down anywhere. I do have the quicken working on my laptop but I don't like using the laptop for accounting and thats why I am desperately trying to open the 2015 on my desktop. It wouldn't do any good if my harddrive was good because I don't have the intuit ID. Thank you all for trying. One thing I don't understand is when I install the 2015 Quicken on my desktop it immediately asks for my id and email. You would think it would ask me to register first.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    If Quicken is asking for an Intuit ID, you need to download/install the R17.4 Mondo patch from Quicken 2015 Patches - QuicknPerlWiz 

Then you need to copy the C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Intuit\Config\QUICKEN.INI file from your laptop to your desktop.
  • irbenton
    irbenton Member
    Thank you. In doing this can I avoid the subscription?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited January 2023
    Yes, Quicken 2017 and earlier don't require a subscription but all Online Services are disabled. Be sure to make a copy of C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Intuit\Config\QUICKEN.INI if you ever have reinstall Quicken 2015.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Quicken 2017 and earlier don't require a subscription but all Online Services are disabled. Be sure to make a copy of C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config\QUICKEN.INI if you ever have reinstall Quicken 2015.
    I would also recommend saving a copy of the patch file.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• irbenton
    irbenton Member
    Answer ✓
    Greg the Geek - I am going to try and follow your instructions now. I was in hopes my computer geek would be in town to help me but need to go ahead and try. Should I have the 2015 Quicken already installed before I start your instructions?
    Thank you.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited January 2023
    Do you have the C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config\QUICKEN.INI file from the crashed computer? If not, don't waste your time trying to install Quicken 2015. It won't work.
  • irbenton
    irbenton Member
    Greg the Greek: I cannot retrieve anything from my hard drive from my old computer. I do have Quicken still installed on my lap top but when I try to search for the file you sent me it says it cannot find it. Guess I will just have to wait for my computer friend to come to town and see if he can help me. When it come to things like this I only have about a thimble full of knowledge Thank you for your help.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    C:\ProgramData is a hidden folder. Try showing Hidden folders and files in File Explorer.
  • irbenton
    irbenton Member
    OK. Thank you
  • drs99
    drs99 Member
    Following this thread. I have my old INI file but when I try to overwrite the file that comes with Quicken2016 on install it says I don't have permission. How can that be as this is my own new computer. How do I override the permission? I did download the R17.4 Mondo patch file as well.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    From Windows File Explorer, check the Security Properties on the file.

• drs99
    drs99 Member
    Thanks. I was successful with that, got the missing Visual C++ files loaded, so no more password prompt and no more missing files. My data shows up then disappears leaving the "having problems with your quicken id" message faintly at the bottom of an empty screen. I've restarted the computer as well.
  • drs99
    drs99 Member
    NVM I got it to work once I did the complete clean out of old files with Revo Uninstaller and then transferred my entire Quicken file from Program Data on my old comp to the new one. Thanks again for the help.
This discussion has been closed.