Entering an expense

When I enter an expense, it is recorded as an income, i.e. without the negative sign. Do I have to put the negative sign each time?

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    To the right of the Balance header in a credit card account there is a little square "register columns" icon. Click on that and enable the  Charge column.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Are you entering the expense in the Charge column of a credit card account? In credit card accounts, Charges are positive but they make the balance more negative, as they should.

Or perhaps it is a banking account you are entering the expense in the Amount column. In that column, expenses are negative. If you make the entry in the Payment column, expenses are positive. 
  • Ansamar
    Ansamar Member
    There is no Charge column or Payment column. Only an Amount column.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Ansamar said:
    There is no Charge column or Payment column. Only an Amount column.
    In that case, the answer is Yes, except if Quicken can figure out by the used payee name or category that this is meant to be an expense.
    I recommend you add the Charge and Payment (or Payment and Deposit, depending on account type) columns to your register and remove the Amount column. Entering the amount as an unsigned number into the appropriate Charge or Payment column makes it the correct income or expense type.
    Use the Register columns icon (next to the Balance column header) to add or remove columns from an account register.

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    To the right of the Balance header in a credit card account there is a little square "register columns" icon. Click on that and enable the  Charge column.
  • Ansamar
    Ansamar Member
    Problem solved!
    Thanks a lot. :)
This discussion has been closed.