Mac OS 10.6.8 Running Quicken 2007 and trouble Migrating to New Macbook with Ventura.

dperkins
dperkins Member
I have an Older Mac Mini that is currently running Mac OS 10.6.8 and and 2007 quicken. I copied/ Backed up the Data to a hard Drive. I copied them to my desktop of the new macbook pro. When I opened up My New Macbook Pro running Mac OS 13. and installed Quicken Premier Version 6.11.3... I try to migrate my files using the 2007 files...I get an error message saying -

The resource fork is missing.
If you copied this file from another computer, try creating a .zip archive of the original file and copying the .zip file instead. After copying the .zip file to this computer, you can unzip the original file by double-clicking the .zip file.

But the file is not that large. It shouldn't need to be zipped. I have tried multiple ways to get the data in a format the new quicken will read. - Copy. Export. backup.

2007 Quicken is still running successfully on the maC Mini.

HELP How can i get it's data to be read and migrated on the new Quicken on the new macbook.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I'm not sure why you're still having the problem; there's got to be some small detail which isn't right. so at the risk of asking you things you feel you've already answered or done…

• On the old Mac, is the Quicken 2007 data file on the internal hard disk, or are you running it from the external hard drive? I think from your description it's the former, but wanted to make sure. 

• What format is the external hard drive? Do Get Info on the drive to see if it is HFS+ or APFS. If it's anything else, that could be the cause of the problem.

• On the new Mac, do you by any chance have macOS set to store your Desktop and Documents folders on iCloud. (This is in System Settings > your account name > iCloud I believe in Ventura). What you're looking for is whether iCloud drive is enabled, and if it is, if the checkbox for storing Desktop and Documents on iCloud is checked. Storing your Quicken data file on iCloud could cause the resource fork issue with an old file.

• On the old Mac, again just for clarity, you are launching Quicken 2007 and doing File > Save a Copy, naming the copy something like "Transfer file.qdfm"? Try opening this new file in Quicken to make sure it opens okay. Then quit Quicken, Control-click the file, and in the Finder do File > Compress to create the .zip file. 

• Try moving the .zip file to the new computer without going through the Segate hard drive. Do you have a flash drive you can try? (Make sure it's formatted for a Mac.) Or you can turn on file sharing on on elf the computers and push or pull the file over. Or perhaps easier, email the .zip file to yourself from the old Mac, open your email on the new Mac and move the .zip file to your desktop.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Does the file you moved have an extension of .qdfm? If not, try adding that file extension, and then try again to see if Quicken Mac will read it. Also, are you using File > Import or File > New? The latter is what you need to use; the select to start from a Quicken 2007 data file.

But creating a .zip file is absolutely something you should do. It has nothing to do with the size of the file. The Quicken data file is actually a wrapper around a bunch of files and folders, and wrapping it as a .zip file will preserve all the elements and permissions. So on the old Mac Mini, quit Quicken 2007, and then in the Finder, select the data file and do File > Compress. Then move the .zip file to the new Mac and double-click it to un-zip it. Then launch Quicken Mac and do File > New and select the un-zipped Quicken 2007 data file. 
  • dperkins
    dperkins Member
    Additional Information : The Old Mac Mini is still running the 2007 Quicken, all data is intact. I Connected an exterior seagate HD zipped a backup copy of the 2007 files...Went to new MacBook tried to migrate the unzipped file, but still got the error message.
  • dperkins
    dperkins Member
    Thank you for reaching out Jacobs. These are the steps I have taken to no avail:
    1. Deleted the New Quicken App on the New Powerbook - and reinstalled.
    2. Ran Disk Utility on the old Mac Mini HD and The Seagate HD
    3. Opened the Old Mac Mini running 2007 Quicken and created a File- Copy of 2007 files with .qdfm , then Contl & Compressed this file and put it on the Seagate Drive.
    4. Opened the Macbook Pro New Quicken, Un Zipped the Seagate 2007 file. On New Quicken - clicked File , New and Selected the option to migrate the 2007 files. Chose the upzipped file - AND
    5. The resource fork is missing.
    If you copied this file from another computer, try creating a .zip archive of the original file and copying the .zip file instead. After copying the .zip file to this computer, you can unzip the original file by double-clicking the .zip file.

This is so frustrating. I can open the 2007 Mac Mini quicken without issue. But it will not transfer.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    I'm not sure why you're still having the problem; there's got to be some small detail which isn't right. so at the risk of asking you things you feel you've already answered or done…

• On the old Mac, is the Quicken 2007 data file on the internal hard disk, or are you running it from the external hard drive? I think from your description it's the former, but wanted to make sure. 

• What format is the external hard drive? Do Get Info on the drive to see if it is HFS+ or APFS. If it's anything else, that could be the cause of the problem.

• On the new Mac, do you by any chance have macOS set to store your Desktop and Documents folders on iCloud. (This is in System Settings > your account name > iCloud I believe in Ventura). What you're looking for is whether iCloud drive is enabled, and if it is, if the checkbox for storing Desktop and Documents on iCloud is checked. Storing your Quicken data file on iCloud could cause the resource fork issue with an old file.

• On the old Mac, again just for clarity, you are launching Quicken 2007 and doing File > Save a Copy, naming the copy something like "Transfer file.qdfm"? Try opening this new file in Quicken to make sure it opens okay. Then quit Quicken, Control-click the file, and in the Finder do File > Compress to create the .zip file. 

• Try moving the .zip file to the new computer without going through the Segate hard drive. Do you have a flash drive you can try? (Make sure it's formatted for a Mac.) Or you can turn on file sharing on on elf the computers and push or pull the file over. Or perhaps easier, email the .zip file to yourself from the old Mac, open your email on the new Mac and move the .zip file to your desktop.
  • dperkins
    dperkins Member

- The Old Mac is running Quicken 2007 on its Internal Hard Drive. I am only using the Seagate for transporting the .qdfm
    ( I have tried: File-backup , and also tried: File - save a Copy)

- I just checked the Format of the Seagate HD - Windows NT File System (NTFS) . On the seagate website they have the
    download the Paragon driver (?) anyway I installed in on the new Macbook and on the Old Mac Mini.

- I checked to be sure - In Ventura : System Settings > your account name > iCloud >iCloud drive >Options ( Apps that
    store documents and data in iCloud) and then there is a checklist In my case the desktop and documents folder is
    unchecked . I verify where the file lands so I know it is on the Hard Drive Desktop.

• On the old Mac, again just for clarity, you are launching Quicken 2007 and doing File > Save a Copy, naming the copy something like "Transfer file.qdfm"? Try opening this new file in Quicken to make sure it opens okay. Then quit Quicken, Control-click the file, and in the Finder do File > Compress to create the .zip file.

- I followed your instructions here - and even used your file name - Yes the transferfile.qfdm does open and the data is
    correct in the old Mac Mini running the 2007 quicken.

• Try moving the .zip file to the new computer without going through the Segate hard drive. Do you have a flash drive you can try? (Make sure it's formatted for a Mac.) Or you can turn on file sharing on on elf the computers and push or pull the file over. Or perhaps easier, email the .zip file to yourself from the old Mac, open your email on the new Mac and move the .zip file to your desktop.

_ Easy enough - I emailed the Zip file to the new Macbook Pro. Unzipped on to the Macbook PRo HD Desktop. Went to
    Quicken - selected file new - selected the 2007 transfer file - and get the same resource fork error.

I did see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0wwG-AGT9Q
    Not too comfortable in the terminal window.... but wondered if I do have a resource fork file missing.
    Going to try one more time emailing the zip file using backup - instead of save a copy.

Did this answer the question? Yes No
  • dperkins
    dperkins Member
    HELLO JACOBS !!!

I tried one last thing - On The MacMini 2007 Quicken - File >Backup> To Disk (I did not zip file this time) - Seagate direct. ( after the paragon Driver on New Macbook Pro) Then Deleted all Quicken Files on the Macbook Pro and Reinstalled App from My Quicken Account online. Connected the Seagate Driver - Downloaded the Backup transfer File to my Macbook Desktop. Selected that file and prayed...
    Well I didn't get the error message right away ( Like Usual) and it asked me to use the quicken cloud to transfer - Getting Hopeful...then it started transferring all the files. I didn't dare MOVE - and thankfully it is all there!! and it matches the data on the MacMini.

OMG I am sooo thankful you gave me all the suggestions !! and finally Something worked.
    I Thank you "one thousand" times!
  • jacobs
    Woo hoo! I’m glad you finally got it to work. In my experience, these missing resource fork errors are usually pretty easy to resolve if the user still has access to the old Mac and Quicken 2007. But yours definitely put up a fight! when I saw the external drive was formatted as NFTS, I thought that was a likely culprit, but I’m not clear from your description why it worked in the end… and it doesn’t matter because you’ll likely never need to do this again! Whew.

Best wishes now as you climb the learning curve of modern Quicken Mac. 😀 It takes some time to find your way around and get used to doing some things differently, so give yourself some time and patience. Many of us had initial knee-jerk negative reactions to some elements in the new user interface, but over time grew to like it as much or more than old reliable Quicken 2007.
This discussion has been closed.