Transactions not showing on a report (Q Mac)

StevenF
StevenF Member ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Reports (Mac)
Hello,
I have 24 transactions all set to the same category with the same payee and the same memo note, 2 per month each month of the year. The 8 transactions from January through April do NOT show on an Income & Expense Report, but May through December do. Any thoughts as to why when ever aspect of each transaction is the same except for the posting date?
Thanks for your help,
Befuddled in Portland

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Great! I'm glad to hear you were able to get it resolved. :) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you check the date settings on the report?  Are they in the same account?  Maybe you changed the account you paid them out of?  Check the report settings.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• StevenF
    StevenF Member ✭✭
    Thanks VolvoGirl. I did end up checking all of that and everything is good. I have plenty of other transactions with the missing dates showing up from the same account. I even tried changing the category and then changing it back to see if there was a glitch in the Matrix, but to no avail. I appreciate the thought, though. 🙏🏻
  • jacobs
    What report are you using? If it's a report using the old Category Summary, this report is known to omit data and cause a variety of problems. The solution is to not use the old Category Summary report at all, and in instead use reports utilizing the modern reports engine (Category Summary by Year or Category Summary Year to Date or New > Summary Report). Don't know which your report is? The top of the report has multiple clues…

This is the old Category Summary report heading. If you see this, stop using this report immediately, and re-create your parameters using the new category summary reports.

This is the modern Category Summary by xxx report heading. Tell-tale differences include the View option in the menu bar and the rows of filters for Type, Row, Column and Interval.

• StevenF
    StevenF Member ✭✭
    Thanks Jacobs. According to your screen shots, I am using the modern reports with the drop down fields. I've doubled checked the settings and confirmed that other transactions from the same account and the date period as the missing transactions are indeed showing up. Also, just now I took all 24 transactions I am trying to get on the report and changed them in bulk to a brand new Category. The new Category now shows on the report, but the same 8 transactions are still missing.
  • jacobs
    edited January 2023
    Try editing one of the transactions and re-typing the date — in full mm/dd/yyyy format. Save and see if it show up in the report. I’ve seen cases where dates get messed up on download but it’s not apparent if you’re macOS date format is showing mm/dd/yy. 

If that doesn’t work, could you capture and post a screen shot of the April and May transactions to see if we can spot anything that could make one show up and the other not.

Also, can you confirm that none of these transactions has a Transfer?
  • StevenF
    StevenF Member ✭✭
    Hi Jacobs, You are very kind, thank you for the help. None of these transactions are transfers, they are all straight withdrawals from a checking account to Vanguard Investments.

I tried to edit the date as you suggest and it wouldn't let me do so manually, only by clicking on the date on the calendar button within the field. I moved the transaction to a different date and then back again, but no change to the report. Even if I change the date to a date within the range that IS showing on the report, such as May 5, this transaction is still not showing on the report even though there are two transactions with the May 2 date that are showing fine. It's clearly something to do with these transactions.

As far as Quicken is concerned, these are all legitimate and cleared transactions. There are only 8 of them. Apparently I can create a NEW transaction during the missing date period and it will appear on the report. Do you know, since all the missing transactions are Cleared, if I just delete the missing ones, which were all downloaded from the bank, and create new ones if this will mess up the ledger? And if not, how do I re-clear the new, replacement, transactions?
  • jacobs
    StevenF said:
    None of these transactions are transfers, they are all straight withdrawals from a checking account to Vanguard Investments.
    I'm confused. It may not be relevant to resolving your problem, but your description of a "withdrawal from a checking account to Vanguard Investments" sounds like the definition of a transfer. Are both your checking account and your Vanguard account set up as accounts in Quicken? Are you recording the withdrawal from checking as a check, and the deposit into Vanguard as a deposit — two separate transactions? In most cases, people enter this as a single transaction with a transfer from one account to the other. What category are you using on your withdrawals from the checking account, and the deposits into the Vanguard account?

But let's leave that aside for a minute…

StevenF said:
    I tried to edit the date as you suggest and it wouldn't let me do so manually, only by clicking on the date on the calendar button within the field.
    So if you double-click on the transaction so it become blue for editing, you can't click + or - to increase or decrease the date, but clicking on the little calendar allows you to select a different date? That's odd.

Is this a download transaction, a manual transaction, or a matched manual/download transaction?

If you click on the transaction, and select View > Show Inspector, I'd be curious to see the Inspector window. Specifically, if this is a downloaded transaction, what is the Posted Date in this window?

StevenF said:
    Apparently I can create a NEW transaction during the missing date period and it will appear on the report. Do you know, since all the missing transactions are Cleared, if I just delete the missing ones, which were all downloaded from the bank, and create new ones if this will mess up the ledger? And if not, how do I re-clear the new, replacement, transactions?
    I agree, sometimes after banging your head against the wall and not coming up with an answer, using the brute force method of deleting and manually re-adding a few transactions is simply the best way to proceed. ;)

You're saying the transactions were cleared. What about reconciled? Do you reconcile your accounts in Quicken each month? Is the Clr column showing a blue checkmark (cleared) or a green checkmark (reconciled)? I want to make are we don't mess up your reconciliations be deleting and re-adding these transactions. 
  • StevenF
    StevenF Member ✭✭
    Sorry. I’m confusing.
    Vanguard is external. No, I don’t have a Vanguard account in Quicken, so they’re not transferring within Quicken. The transaction is downloaded from my bank’s checking account and given an internal category.
    Also, the transactions are reconciled with the green check mark.
    I’m not at my computer at the moment so I can do the Inspector suggestion at the moment, but do so later.
  • jacobs
    Thanks for clarifying about the account(s).

What do you mean the transaction is given an "internal category"? What is the category?
  • StevenF
    StevenF Member ✭✭
    By categories, I mean the categories you set up within Quicken to organize transactions: Mortgage, Phone Bill, Gas, Food.....

I'm back at my office now and looking at the Inspector Window. There is a difference between the transactions showing up on the report and those that don't. All those NOT showing up have "Account Not Synced" in the "Transfer" field. Those that do show up have that field blank.

Does that help?

Thank you again for all your time. I am really befuddled here.
  • jacobs
    I'm not familiar with the "Account Not Synced" message; I don't use Quicken's Cloud services and always have Sync turned off. I found that there was a problem with syncing investment accounts to the Cloud last year from January through late April -- so that answers where this problem came from.

If you don't have the Transfer field visible as one of your register columns, make it visible temporarily by clicking on the Columns icon and checking Transfer. Now, when you open the transaction to edit it, can you access the Transfer field and blank it out? Or change it to select any account for a transfer (which you can then remove)? If yes, re-reun your report, and these transactions should now show up.

If not, I'm thinking you will have to re-create these transactions. You could create a scheduled biweekly transaction starting on the first date last January, then mark each subsequent one as Paid. After 8 of them, edit the scheduled transaction for May, and click Delete All Instances. Or create one transaction, then Duplicate it 7 times, changing the date of each. Once you're sure they're all correctly in place, delete the original 8 transactions. Finally, you'll have to go back to re-reconcile each of those four months to include the replacement transactions.
  • StevenF
    StevenF Member ✭✭
    Jacobs, you are a GENIUS. Exposing the Transfer Field and deleting the "Account Not Synched" message and saving worked. Yay!! The report is now showing all transactions that were missing. And it appears to have not messed up my reconcile. Thank you so very much!!!!!
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Great! I'm glad to hear you were able to get it resolved. :) 
  • JoPence
    JoPence Member ✭✭
    FYI - I had the exact same problem as StevenF. I did what Jacob recommended and found that the transactions not showing up in Reports (Marcus & a credit card) all showed strange "transfer" data. I deleted transfers and then they showed up properly in my Reports. THANK YOU!!
This discussion has been closed.