Moving from Win 7 with Quicken 2006 to Win 11

Options
BudF
BudF Member ✭✭
I've been running 2006 since, well, 2006. Most recently on a Win 7 PC bought in 2012. At first, I thought I'd install the current version and just import my 2006 data. Wrong, I learned by reading this:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

Following the instructions there, I downloaded Quicken 2013 Deluxe, installed it, and imported my 2006 data, saving it as a 2013 file. It seems to run just fine and all looks good so far. Now, I need some advice.

1-Should I just keep running the downloaded and unregistered copy of 2013? If so, what is the risk?
2-Or should I just install 2006 on Win 11 and keep on going like I was? Will it even install and work correctly under Win !!? If it does run, what is the risk?
3-Does anyone have any idea if and when Quicken will stop importing 2013 data?
4-Any other thoughts I haven't asked...

To be clear, I'm not hung up on getting a "no-new-cost" way to run Quicken. OTOH, if I can safely save $60 a year, why not? If either #1 or #2 above will give me a path into the future for the next 10 or 15 years, I'm game.

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    QWin 2013 was the last best version, and if it meets your needs, there's no reason not to stay on it. But it will not download transactions from financial institutions. For that, you need to buy the subscription version.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• BudF
    BudF Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @"Rocket J Squirrel" said:
    > QWin 2013 was the last best version, and if it meets your needs, there's no reason not to stay on it. But it will not download transactions from financial institutions. For that, you need to buy the subscription version.

I'm not interested in downloading transactions, for a bunch of non-Luddite reasons.

And your view is that the current subscription version doesn't offer any other capability to make it worth upgrading?

Why do you describe 2013 as "last best"?

And what about any risk in staying with 2013? I'm assuming that, with it not being connected to the internet, Quicken can't break it, even though it's a paid license. (BTDT with Adobe). And what about reaching some point in the future when I wouldn't be able to import 2013 data into the then-current version? Is there any crystal ball view on that?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still use Q2013.  I like it.  Works great, very stable.  I have it on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.   What do you mean will stop importing data?  You can't download transactions but currently I can still update stock prices.  But don't tell them.  They may remember to turn that  server off.  

Yes move up to 2013.  If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken 2013 is the last version that is truly standalone. From Quicken 2014 onwards you have to login to register the product when installing on a new machine.  And they have already broke that login for Quicken 2014 to 2017 (subscriptions started in 2018).  There is a workaround for people that already have Quiicken 2014 to 2017 install and register on one machine, by moving the Quicken.ini file from the old machine, but that is of course not possible in your case and may not work in all cases/in the future.

Is there a risk for using Quicken 2013 and it stop working on newer versions of Windows and at the same time Quicken Inc dropping being able to convert that data file to the newer version?

Yes, but I would say that it is extremely unlikely.
    First off, I can install and run Quicken 96 on Windows 11 and for the most part it works.  The problems that will come up are generally the printer, scanner, and help.  If one can live without those almost any version of is still usable on Windows.  I don't expect that to change for a very long time.  And then on top of that you have to have Quicken Inc decide to not convert data files from Quicken 2013, which seems unlikely. After all that would be cutting of a possible income stream. I only see them doing that if there is a technical reason for it.  And it seems like they could do the same thing they did with Quicken 2004/2013 and put out a version that bridges the gap.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BudF
    BudF Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, all.
    I'm going to use 2013 for a bit to gain confidence in it. Already, it's working correctly with my printer, something I haven't had from 2006 for quite some time. And that's a good point that cutting off migration from 2013 would hurt the income stream for Quicken.
This discussion has been closed.