File Import

Options
repullen
repullen Unconfirmed, Member
I just had to upgrade my PC. I went from Windows 8 to 11. The old PC had Quick Deluxe 2017. We were able to successfully copy the Quicken files to the new PC. But now Quicken opens to a blank screen. Two questions: 1. Is there a fix to the blank screen? 2. If not, and I cave in and purchase the subscription, will I be able import that file? Thank you.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Since QWin 2017 is no longer supported by Quicken they made some changes for Quicken Subscription that causes QWin 2017 (and many other earlier versions) to no longer function.  This change only takes effect when doing something like reinstalling the software.
    Do you have access to the old PC?  If so, you could try copying the Quicken.ini file from the config folder there to the config folder on your new computer.  That might work for you being able to use your QWin 2017, again.
    If that does not work, then you will need to upgrade to Subscription to be able to access your data file, again.  And, yes, Subscription will be able to read your 2017 data file.
    If you do upgrade to Subscription, look around for discount deals.  Sometimes Quicken.com offers nice 30%-40% discounts to new subscribers.  There are also a lot of retailers that offer similar discounts to new subscribers.
    You will have 30 days to try out Subscription at no risk.  If within 30 days you decide you do not like or want it (for any reason) you can request the subscription to be canceled and you will get a full refund.  So there really is no risk for trying it out.
    The subscription will be good for 1 year.  If you choose to not renew it at that time you will still be able to use it manually (like you've been doing with 2017) but you will get nagged by banner reminding you to renew that will take up about 25% of your Quicken screen.  This banner can only be removed by resubscribing.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @repullen,

I can't answer your question on the "blank screen" because my understand is that there are a number of potential causes for that.  However - to answer your #2 question - yes, you have a Quicken datafile that was working with Quicken Deluxe 2017, you will definitely be able to open that with a Quicken subscription at the Deluxe level or higher.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It explains your issue probably AND hopefully you still might have access to the required .INI file.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Since QWin 2017 is no longer supported by Quicken they made some changes for Quicken Subscription that causes QWin 2017 (and many other earlier versions) to no longer function.  This change only takes effect when doing something like reinstalling the software.
    Do you have access to the old PC?  If so, you could try copying the Quicken.ini file from the config folder there to the config folder on your new computer.  That might work for you being able to use your QWin 2017, again.
    If that does not work, then you will need to upgrade to Subscription to be able to access your data file, again.  And, yes, Subscription will be able to read your 2017 data file.
    If you do upgrade to Subscription, look around for discount deals.  Sometimes Quicken.com offers nice 30%-40% discounts to new subscribers.  There are also a lot of retailers that offer similar discounts to new subscribers.
    You will have 30 days to try out Subscription at no risk.  If within 30 days you decide you do not like or want it (for any reason) you can request the subscription to be canceled and you will get a full refund.  So there really is no risk for trying it out.
    The subscription will be good for 1 year.  If you choose to not renew it at that time you will still be able to use it manually (like you've been doing with 2017) but you will get nagged by banner reminding you to renew that will take up about 25% of your Quicken screen.  This banner can only be removed by resubscribing.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• repullen
    repullen Unconfirmed, Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I did find a 40% discount and just decided to go for it. I appreciate your comments.
This discussion has been closed.