Separate Accounts

Options
Darrel
Darrel Member ✭✭
How do you determine what Separate Accounts consists of as listed in the account list

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    You must designate an account to be displayed as Separate.  It is a user option.  It is not automatically done by Quicken.
    To designate an account to be displayed as Separate:  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Display Options tab > check the box for Keep this account separate- account will be excluded from Quicken reports and features > OK.
    Once this has been completed, the Account Bar on the left will be updated to move that account from the default Account Group to a new Group called Separate and the account will show up under that Group.  If you do not see the account, click on Separate to expand it.   If no accounts have been designated as Separate then the Separate Group will not be shown in the Account Bar. In the example pictured below, the account shown under the Separate Group was previously under the Property & Debt Group.

Designating an account as Separate is not a permanent thing.  If you later decide you do not want it to be Separate, just uncheck that box on that Display Options tab.
    Does this answer your question?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Options
    It's a personal choice as to whether or not an account should be set as a Separate Account.  As a general guideline, Separate Accounts are those that you want to track in Quicken but you don't want the data getting intermingled with your own in things like reports, Tax Planner/Reports, Net Worth, Budgeting, etc.
    A good example of this is when a person is tracking their child's bank account(s) in Quicken but they do not want those accounts rolled up into their own personal financials.  For instance, when my mother passed away I set up separate accounts for her estate while I was in the process of settling it....certainly did not want that data getting intermingled with my own.
    Some people will set up a separate account in Quicken when they are treasurer for some charity, sports league/team, etc.  While that certainly can be done I will usually recommend that for these types of things it would be better to open new Quicken files for each.  That then makes it easily transportable to the next person who takes over.

• Darrel
    Darrel Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the response. How am I able to find which accounts comprise the Separate accounts?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If any of your accounts have been marked as Separate, they will be listed in the Account Sidebar under the Separate header. This header only appears when there's at least 1 account marked "Keep Separate"
    The little triangle to the left of Separate (see image) opens or closes the detailed listing.
    To easily manage the "Keep Separate" setting for accounts use the Tools / Manage Hidden Accounts function.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    You must designate an account to be displayed as Separate.  It is a user option.  It is not automatically done by Quicken.
    To designate an account to be displayed as Separate:  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Display Options tab > check the box for Keep this account separate- account will be excluded from Quicken reports and features > OK.
    Once this has been completed, the Account Bar on the left will be updated to move that account from the default Account Group to a new Group called Separate and the account will show up under that Group.  If you do not see the account, click on Separate to expand it.   If no accounts have been designated as Separate then the Separate Group will not be shown in the Account Bar. In the example pictured below, the account shown under the Separate Group was previously under the Property & Debt Group.

Designating an account as Separate is not a permanent thing.  If you later decide you do not want it to be Separate, just uncheck that box on that Display Options tab.
    Does this answer your question?

• Darrel
    Darrel Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you so much. You have answered all my questions.
This discussion has been closed.