Expense categories only offer income categories to be selected when try to make the subcategories.

I am trying to adjust how I budget my rental expenses. To do this, I would like to make certain rental expense categories a subcategory of a new "budget" category I have created. That way I can just create a budget for the new category and not all of its subs. The issue is when I try to go and change the old rental expense categories from being expense categories to being a "subcategory of", I am only offered income categories in the drop-down list. There are no expense categories shown. I see all sorts of income categories, including both rental property income and personal income, but not a single expense category. Why would this be? It should either show only expense categories or all categories in my mind. Is this just a glitch, or am I missing something?
Tagged:

Comments

• Sorry that title is horrendous. I should have checked it before posting...woops.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you show us image snapshots of what you have done so far and what you are trying to do?
    You cannot (or should not) have a parent category with mixed income and expense subcategories.
    I recommend staying with the default category groups of Rental Property Income and Rental Property Expense.
  • johnjelinek
    johnjelinek Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem today.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am having the same problem today.
    Can you show us? Create a screen snapshot, save it to a PNG, JPG or GIF file and then, using Windows File Explorer, drag and drop the file into your next comment on this webpage.

• jayden
    jayden Member
    "Subcategory of" showing only income accounts, no expense accounts.
  • JBMDenver
    JBMDenver Member ✭✭
    where is the solution - I never get expenses either - only Income which somehow has changed recently
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try the suggestion in this post and read to the end of the thread.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible there is a way around the problem, but since none of my Quicken files has the problem, I can't verify whether this will work.

In the Category List, right-click the category you want to create a sub-category for. 

In the resulting dropdown menu, select "New subcategory". The "New Category" dialog will open with the parent-category-to-be already selected in the "Subcategory of" dropdown. Then you can just enter the name of the new sub-category in the Category Name field and click OK.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• DJ mac
    DJ mac Member
    Same problem!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@DJ mac ,
    have you followed the discussion above and tried the solutions posted within?
    A “ghost account” named something like “ACCT_xxxx” (where xxxx is a decimal or hexadecimal number), once deleted from the Category List has resolved the issue for some users.

Have you recently validated and supervalidated your Quicken data file? If not, try it.

• indianabridges
    indianabridges Member ✭✭
    Having the same problem - this appears to have started in January

I was told by support that I had a corrupted data file with the usual answer to make a copy with only transactions and no customizations such as Reports / Memorized Payees / Scheduled Transactions

I am amazed that there is no way to make a clean copy of the data file with all customizations

I do have a work-around for this issue:

Create a top-level category as income
    Create the subcategory as income
    Edit the top-level category and change it to an expense category
    Both the top-level and subcategory will change to expense

Give it a try - I tested the process this evening
  • Mark Velarde
    Mark Velarde Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > @DJ mac ,
    > have you followed the discussion above and tried the solutions posted within?
    > A “ghost account” named something like “ACCT_xxxx” (where xxxx is a decimal or hexadecimal number), once deleted from the Category List has resolved the issue for some users.
    >
    This worked for me. Thanks.
  • indianabridges
    indianabridges Member ✭✭
    My thanks for suggesting checking for "ACCT_xxxx” as I had seen this correction posted and checked my database earlier; but there is no "ACCT_xxxx” to be removed.

I am still interested in why this has been reported as happening since only the end of January by multiple individuals. Not certain how all our databases became corrupted in such a relatively brief time.

I also had support validate and super validate my database with no errors indicated. But was then told that my database was corrupted. (I thought that the super validate would show an error if this were the case)

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.