Quicken for changing Nonprofit treasurers

I am passing the treasurer role of a small nonprofit community organization on to a new treasurer. I have used my personal Quicken to keep our banking information. I can't pass that on. But I would like to start a Quicken account for our organization that can be passed on to each successive treasurer. Can I do that?

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Assuming that you have a separate Quicken data file for the nonprofit, purchase the new copy of Quicken using an email associated with the nonprofit, that will be the Quicken Id.
    On your computer, open the nonprofit data file, go to Edit->Preferences->Quicken Id and do Login in as different user.
    Use the new nonprofit Quicken Id to change the ownership of the data file.
    Now, change data files to your personal data file.
    Go thru the login process again with your data file, but use your Quicken Id credentials to return your Quicken back to its previous state.
    Give the nonprofit data file (.QDF file) to the new treasurer along with the Quicken Id for the nonprofit.
    They can then install Quicken on their computer.
    Personally, I believe that the nonprofit should purchase a laptop and keep their Quicken program and data off of computers that do not belong to the nonprofit.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you suggesting that the non-profit's finances are commingled with your own?  They shouldn't be.  The finances for the non-profit should be in a completely separate Q data file.
    What Q product are you running?  And does the new Treasurer also have Q ... or are you asking about passing YOUR copy of Q along to the new Treasurer ... which is a no-no if you plan on continuing to use Q for your finances.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Assuming that you have a separate Quicken data file for the nonprofit, purchase the new copy of Quicken using an email associated with the nonprofit, that will be the Quicken Id.
    On your computer, open the nonprofit data file, go to Edit->Preferences->Quicken Id and do Login in as different user.
    Use the new nonprofit Quicken Id to change the ownership of the data file.
    Now, change data files to your personal data file.
    Go thru the login process again with your data file, but use your Quicken Id credentials to return your Quicken back to its previous state.
    Give the nonprofit data file (.QDF file) to the new treasurer along with the Quicken Id for the nonprofit.
    They can then install Quicken on their computer.
    Personally, I believe that the nonprofit should purchase a laptop and keep their Quicken program and data off of computers that do not belong to the nonprofit.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.