Gains reporting.

Options
rbmeanor09
rbmeanor09 Member ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Investing (Windows)
How do I prevent Quicken from reporting my gains from both my brokerage account and my tax-derferred accounts in the same category. I have confirmed that the accounts are properly tagged in the accounts setup windows.
Tagged:

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depends on the report purpose. Reports about realized capital gains for tax purposes should exclude retirement tax-deferred accounts. That is the default setting in Quicken. 

Reports more focused on change in ne net worth are more likely to include gains (realized and unrealized) in both account groupings. 

Customize reports accordingly. 
  • rbmeanor09
    rbmeanor09 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I guess I have to answer the Yes/No Question as - No. I just included a brokerage account to my long-time Quicken account where I have only had tax-deferred accounts. Now I must do tax reporting on the brokerage account but, using standard Quicken categories (Long-term cap gain), they all get lumped together. My conclusion is that I will have to manually separate the two accounts. Am I misunderstanding the situation?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I'm not sure I know what the Yes/No Question is.
    On the one hand, capital gains are capital gains wherever they occur.  You sold a stock for more than you paid for it in an after tax account?  That's a capital gain.  You sold a stock for more than you paid for it in a tax deferred account?  What's that called?  That too is a capital gain. 
    On the other hand, you have to pay taxes on capital gains in after tax accounts, you don't have to pay taxes on capital gains in tax deferred account.
    If you want to understand capital gains in the context of "what capital gains are taxable right now and what capital gains aren't taxable right now", that's where the "nature" of the account is important, and Quicken readily handles this situation.  By default capital gains within tax deferred accounts are NOT included in Quicken's Tax Reports.  But they are still capital gains, and they will be included in reports that look at ALL the Accounts in your Quicken file. 
    The exact same dichotomy exits with all sorts of investment income, like dividends and interest.  Again, by default Quicken's Tax Reports exclude dividends and interest in tax deferred Accounts but any report that include all the Accounts in the file will report that income too.
    Quicken gives you the tools to include/exclude the Accounts feeding al Spending reports, you just need to customize those reports according to what you're looking for.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess I have to answer the Yes/No Question as - No. I just included a brokerage account to my long-time Quicken account where I have only had tax-deferred accounts. Now I must do tax reporting on the brokerage account but, using standard Quicken categories (Long-term cap gain), they all get lumped together. My conclusion is that I will have to manually separate the two accounts. Am I misunderstanding the situation?
    Your language there is confusing. You have had a long-time Quicken FILE with tax-deferred accounts represented in it. The brokerage account you just added needs to be a separate account within that file distinct from the tax-deferred accounts within that file. That is the separation.  You can then customize Quicken reports and presentations making use of that separation. 

If somehow you added the real-world brokerage account transactions into the tax-deferred accounts within Quicken, then yes, you need to undo that. 
This discussion has been closed.