"Only the latest version of a file can use Quicken Cloud."

galojah
galojah Member ✭✭✭
Well this is frustrating. I keep getting this alert. Over and over.  I try all three options. Doesn't solve it. I try to go to turn off web-sync and to even get to this setting, this alert keeps coming up.  So, my accounts aren't syncing and I can't get around it. 

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Storing your Quicken file in a cloud service is not supported and can and does lead to file corruption. In addition to that, it may be that something in Google Drive is making the file appear to have been "touched" and triggering the alert you are seeing.

You should move the file out of Google Drive (make sure it's no longer in the cloud) and store it somewhere that is purely local on your Mac. I suspect this will resolve the issue. Let me know if that works.

That said, you may want the file stored in the cloud so you have a safe offsite backup. That makes sense. To accomplish this, it is fine to store Quicken-made backups of your file in the cloud. To do so, open Quicken Settings (Preferences) (menu Quicken > Settings...). Check the box next to "Automatically backup...", choose the number of backups to keep, the click the Backup Folder button. Point the file dialog that comes up to your Google Drive folder. This will give you cloud backups without the risk of corruption of your file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• galojah
    galojah Member ✭✭✭
    I can select any of these options... and the error still keeps popping up. My Quicken is rendered useless right now. 
  • RickO
    Is your file stored anywhere that is synced to the cloud (eg iCloud Drive, Dropbox, etc)? Is the file, or a copy of it, also open on another computer?

When you click Reset Quicken Cloud, a sync operation should commence. Is that happening? How long does it take before the dialog come up again?
  • galojah
    galojah Member ✭✭✭
    It is in my Google Drive folder, but it is not opened anywhere else. I only have one instance of Quicken for Mac.
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Storing your Quicken file in a cloud service is not supported and can and does lead to file corruption. In addition to that, it may be that something in Google Drive is making the file appear to have been "touched" and triggering the alert you are seeing.

You should move the file out of Google Drive (make sure it's no longer in the cloud) and store it somewhere that is purely local on your Mac. I suspect this will resolve the issue. Let me know if that works.

That said, you may want the file stored in the cloud so you have a safe offsite backup. That makes sense. To accomplish this, it is fine to store Quicken-made backups of your file in the cloud. To do so, open Quicken Settings (Preferences) (menu Quicken > Settings...). Check the box next to "Automatically backup...", choose the number of backups to keep, the click the Backup Folder button. Point the file dialog that comes up to your Google Drive folder. This will give you cloud backups without the risk of corruption of your file.
  • galojah
    galojah Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.
  • Blastphemy
    Blastphemy Unconfirmed ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have my file in Google Drive or anywhere "in the Cloud," but I get that error message from time to time as well. It almost always happens when I take my "real" QMac2023 file, copy it, rename it, and then open it in QMacBeta. Either I get that alert in the beta version of QMac or I get it in the production version. Regardless, all I usually have to do is click on "Reset Quicken Cloud" and it solves the problem temporarily. But if I then open the beta app again before it updates to a newer version than the production version, I'll get the Quicken Cloud alert again each time I open my "real" file in the production version.

Not sure if any of that helps. I definitely don't want to give you advice on how to resolve your issue since it could result in data loss, but I thought this little bit of information might be useful.
  • RickO
    @Blastphemy What you experience is expected behavior. Any time you open a file on another machine or even open a copy of the file, and it in any way "touches" the server, you will get this message on your main file. On the other hand, the OP has done neither of these and is still getting the message. That would not normally be expected.

BTW, there is a procedure described on the beta site on how to transfer your file to beta so you don't experience this.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2023
    @Blastphemy In the File menu of the beta software there's a "Prepare file for beta testing" option that creates a new Quicken Cloud account for the file so you don't get these errors.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.