Can the Mac version of Quicken generate an annual Balance Sheet for multiple years?

jpelz51
jpelz51 Member ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Reports (Mac)
In Quicken for Windows (before I converted to the Mac verions in 2022), I was able to create a single report showing account balances as of 12/31 each year for multiple years. In Quicken for Mac, the closest functionality I can find is the Net Worth report, and it only reports net worth for a single point in time. One of the most important Business features is missing from the "Home, Business & Rental Property" version. Why call it a Business version??

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Jon said:
    @jacobs I said that because the relevant post over in the Product Ideas forum is marked "Planned" rather than "Under Consideration", and because of the survey. But you're right that there's no guarantee a Mac Home & Business version would have this particular report.
    I didn't recall that they changed the status on the Idea thread to "Planned". Thanks for noting that.

@jpelz51 I also see that I provided an incomplete answer to your question. You wanted to see multiple years at a time on the report. And yes, Quicken Mac can do that. It's the Net Worth by Year report. It will show December 31 of each year in your data file, or whatever date range you edit it to be.

(I should note that since this is designed as personal finance software, this report is for calendar year-end net worths; should you need to see a report of fiscal years with a different end date, you would have to generate multiple individual net worth reports, export them to a spreadsheet, and paste each year into its own column. While that sounds bad, I'd note that prior years don't change, so once you build the spreadsheet with as many years of history as you want, it's easy to do the current year, export it, and paste it into the existing spreadsheet.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2023
    There is no Home & Business version of Quicken Mac. You can pay for a Home & Business sub, but Quicken Windows is the only software that has those extra features. Quicken Mac tops out at Premiere.

They've said that they plan to have a Quicken Mac version of Home & Business but there's no timeframe for when that will happen.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    First, you absolutely can create a balance-sheet-like report in Quicken Mac: it's the Net Worth Report. It shows the value of each account as of the selected date, such as year-end. It's not a true balance sheet, because it doesn't have the retained earnings/owners equity piece which, when added to liabilities, would equal assets. But if you can live with a report of assets and liabilities, the Net Worth report gets you there.

Jon said:
    They've said that they plan to have a Quicken Mac version of Home & Business but there's no timeframe for when that will happen.
    I think this statement requires clarification: they have said they are looking into creating a business version of Quicken Mac, but I don't believe they have yet stated that they definitely are going ahead with it.  (But please correct me, @Jon, if you've seen posts or information stating this is definitely moving ahead. They had a short survey on this site, and to some users, about what features they want/need in a business version, and my sense is that just like other features in Quicken Mac, the developers aren't looking to merely copy what's in the Windows version, but to assess what features users most want. So even if they move ahead with a Home & Business version forMac, it's quite possible it will have different features than the existing Windows version. I just didn't want anyone thinking this is a settled issue and we're just waiting for them to wrap it up and ship it.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    jacobs said:
    But please correct me, @Jon, if you've seen posts or information stating this is definitely moving ahead.
    @jacobs I said that because the relevant post over in the Product Ideas forum is marked "Planned" rather than "Under Consideration", and because of the survey. But you're right that there's no guarantee a Mac Home & Business version would have this particular report.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Jon said:
    I didn't recall that they changed the status on the Idea thread to "Planned". Thanks for noting that.

@jpelz51 I also see that I provided an incomplete answer to your question. You wanted to see multiple years at a time on the report. And yes, Quicken Mac can do that. It's the Net Worth by Year report. It will show December 31 of each year in your data file, or whatever date range you edit it to be.

(I should note that since this is designed as personal finance software, this report is for calendar year-end net worths; should you need to see a report of fiscal years with a different end date, you would have to generate multiple individual net worth reports, export them to a spreadsheet, and paste each year into its own column. While that sounds bad, I'd note that prior years don't change, so once you build the spreadsheet with as many years of history as you want, it's easy to do the current year, export it, and paste it into the existing spreadsheet.)
  • jpelz51
    jpelz51 Member ✭✭
    @jacobs Thank you for pointing out the Net Worth by Year. It will do just fine. My recent conversion to Mac has been a mixed blessing. Looks like some loss of Quicken functionality is one of the downsides. I’m still getting used to Quicken for Mac. I’ve used PCs and Windows since the mid ‘90s, and had used a few of the rental property features in Quicken that aren’t provided in the Mac version.
  • jpelz51
    jpelz51 Member ✭✭
    @jon Thank you for pointing out that there’s no “ Home, Business & Rental Property” version. My account page says I’m paying for a Mac subscription, and that the version is still the “Home, Business & Rental Property” version. Apparently this is a holdover from my Windows subscription (and many pre-subscription Quicken purchases). I now realize why I’m not seeing some of the features I’d been using on my PC before converting.
This discussion has been closed.