Cost Basis Wrong or Missing when Transferring shares between accounts

KMorgan
KMorgan Member ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I am buying crypto on an exchange. Once it reaches a certain amount, I am transferring to a hard wallet. I am recording the purchases in one quicken account and then transferring the shares/coins to another account. When it transfers over, the cost basis information either does not come over at all or is completed incorrect. Anyone else experiencing this and know how to fix it without manually correcting 8 months of daily purchases?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are you transferring the crypto "shares" between the accounts in Quicken?

If you click on Enter Transactions and select Shares transferred between accounts, your cost basis should be transferred correctly.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • KMorgan
    KMorgan Member ✭✭
    That is how I am doing the transfer. Now the quicken support tech hung up on me when he shared screens and could not figure out why it was not working.
  • KMorgan
    KMorgan Member ✭✭
    The program is either bringing over what appears to be a completely unrelated costs basis or it is completely left off
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Shares Transferred normally brings over the correct basis. You may have data corruption. Try Validate & Repair if you haven't already. Probably best to try it on a pre-transfer backup.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• KMorgan
    KMorgan Member ✭✭
    I did a validate & repair and it found no issues, unfortunately. I was even able to recreate the error with the tech on the screen share showing 10 transactions coming over completely blank for basis. That is when he hung up.
  • KMorgan
    KMorgan Member ✭✭
    Basically the purchase I set is $10/day. The way Robinhood works, it ends up buying $9.91/day. The cost basis that is being reflected when using the share transfer feature is somewhere between $16,25-$17.25 for each transaction. Is going to make my tax reports completely different that I had already pulled and started to enter.
This discussion has been closed.