Purge Security List of Old Options

Options
dfatq
dfatq Member ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Investing (Windows)
Hello,

After trading options for 20 years, there are 10's of thousands of options in the securities list. Lately the download transactions matching dialog as been very slow so I deleted all the archived trades (I don't really need them, went back to the 1990's) so I can have it delete all the options from the security list. But it didn't, the 10 or 20 thousand or so securities are listed (so many the lists don't work well). How can I purge all those options in the securities list? One-by-one is not feasible of course.

Thanks.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Would you please show us the File Information view from your Quicken data file?
    Click Help in the Menu Bar. Shift+click About Quicken and it'll give you the File Information view. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and drag and drop it here into your next comment.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dfatq said:
    One-by-one is not feasible of course.
    As far as I know, that is the only way to delete securities, there isn't any "multiple select".  All of what you have stated is the reason why Quicken has never been recommended for "active traders" by the SuperUsers.

When talking about performance in Quicken, people almost always get the causes of bad performance wrong.  For instance, suggesting that the number of transactions in a non-invested account matter.  But one thing that always comes up to being a performance hit is a large amount of transactions/securities/security lots in any given account.  And then there is this vague statement in the Size or Capacity limits stated: "Trackable stocks - Up to 2,000 total".  Clearly you can go above this limit, but by all reports, it doesn't lead to good things.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One can select and delete multiple investment transactions in a Banking > Transaction report.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    J_Mike said:
    One can select and delete multiple investment transactions in a Banking > Transaction report.
    The problem is that @dfatq wants to delete multiple securities, not transactions.

EDIT.  Note I assumed it was known that before you can delete any security you have to delete all the transactions that reference it, and that this has already been done.  BTW there is a "new way" to delete investments transactions.  The is a Delete Transactions on the register gear icon menu.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dfatq
    dfatq Member ✭✭
    Options
    Here's the screen shot - Also I messed up at one point, when I had the securities list up I was trying to get a hot key going to delete quickly using keyboard so I was hitting something like Ctrl-D or Del or some combination and thinking it was deleting the security but after about the 3rd time I noticed it said "transaction" so I was deleting items from the transaction list which was behind the securities dialog. Maybe they should stop hotkeys, I presume no way to get those transactions back (too many to try and figure out).
This discussion has been closed.