Recent bugs

I have seen two bugs over the past few weeks and need to solve them. First, closed accounts (brokerage) with zero balance are appearing with positive balance. How do I fix them since the errors are in closed accounts (that do not admit new entries)? Second, a security in my portfolio (ticker IVV) does not appear in the list of securities that I can sell. How do I solve this?

Best Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    IVV — check your security list making sure hidden securities are shown. I suspect you’ll find a that security or at least one with that ticker. 

Make sure that security has a type other than market index. 
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Frankx and q_lurker. The IVV issue was indicated as market index. I changed and it worked, thanks.
    Now for the other issues, I had to fix them by hand. It was truly a bug as the problem emerged in accounts closed years ago with zero balance where all of a sudden entries had vanished. I entered the missing entries by hand. Thanks.
    FWIW:  The Type = Market Index is intended for 'non-security' indexes like the DJIA and S&P 500 that cannot be directly bought themselves.  So securities with that type in Quicken do not get pulled in for the Buy, Sell and similar transactions.  Securities that track or are modelled on those indices need a different Type applied -- Mutual Fund, ETF, Stock, whatever.  So that is the more in-depth reason why that behavior presented itself.   

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @eduardoccastro

Can you give us some additional information that will help us to fully understand the problem?  Where, within Quicken, are you seeing those "positive balances" - in the account register?  - in a report or reports?  Please be specific.

Also, which "list of securities" are you viewing?  Is that a report or a screen in Quicken (such as the Investing tab)?  What makes you believe that you cannot sell that security?

Any additional information will help us to help you.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    How do I fix them since the errors are in closed accounts (that do not admit new entries)? 
    There is nothing that stops you from changing/adding transactions in a closed account.  The only restrictions a closed account actually enforces are you can't unselect the "Hide in transaction entry lists" and you can't set it up for downloading transactions.

EDIT note the very fact that this above is true means that operations like a transfer or any other thing that might affect that account can still change your zeroed out account to one that has some kind of positive/negative value.  In the strictest sense closed accounts should be read-only, but they aren't.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Let me be more specific. First the closed account. It is as if an entry or entries disappeared. It had zero balance and were closed. All of a sudden, when I opened quicken, an entry or entries went missing and now it has a balance.
    As for the security: I have security IVV in my portfolio. However, when I try to enter a sale or purchase, the drop down menu does not show it. If I try to add the security, I click on “add” but it doesn’t add.
    There is a third problem. Another brokerage account with zero securities now shows with a positive security balance. When I check which security, it shows that I don’t have any.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Hi @eduardoccastro,

On the account that "now has a balance" issue - did you scan the register to see is you can find one or more unreconciled transactions? If you had effectively closed that account, a new entry would not have a "c" or "R".  You might be able to figure out what happened by scanning the register.  Also, make sure that you look at the opening balance in that account - Quicken has been known to change (or even add) the account's opening entry (that is the FIRST transaction in the account register).

On your "third problem" - when you say "...shows with a positive security balance" are you referring to the "Securities Value;" that appears at the bottom of the register?  If so are we talking about a large dollar value or something small?  If it is small, you could have a fractional share that occurred when you closed out a position.

Just trying to sort through these issues one at a time.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    IVV — check your security list making sure hidden securities are shown. I suspect you’ll find a that security or at least one with that ticker. 

Make sure that security has a type other than market index. 
  • Thanks Frankx and q_lurker. The IVV issue was indicated as market index. I changed and it worked, thanks.
    Now for the other issues, I had to fix them by hand. It was truly a bug as the problem emerged in accounts closed years ago with zero balance where all of a sudden entries had vanished. I entered the missing entries by hand. Thanks.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Frankx and q_lurker. The IVV issue was indicated as market index. I changed and it worked, thanks.
    FWIW:  The Type = Market Index is intended for 'non-security' indexes like the DJIA and S&P 500 that cannot be directly bought themselves.  So securities with that type in Quicken do not get pulled in for the Buy, Sell and similar transactions.  Securities that track or are modelled on those indices need a different Type applied -- Mutual Fund, ETF, Stock, whatever.  So that is the more in-depth reason why that behavior presented itself.   
This discussion has been closed.