Can't Create Subcategories

Options
I cannot create subcategories of Expenses. Only Income categories appear in the dropdown list when I create a subcategory.

Is anyone else having this issue?
Tagged:

Answers

• roopesh
    roopesh Member ✭✭
    Options
    Having the same issue. In searching these forums it looks like a corrupted file problem and to restore a previous version might help. I have had this issue for over a month so I'm not looking forward to finding the last good file.
  • mhildebr
    mhildebr Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @roopesh said:
    > Having the same issue. In searching these forums it looks like a corrupted file problem and to restore a previous version might help. I have had this issue for over a month so I'm not looking forward to finding the last good file.

I have plenty of backup files but I've never had to restore them. Do I have to recreate/download the missing transactions that would not be part of a previous backup or will the transactions be downloaded when I reconnect to my bank/credit card issuers?
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You will be able to re-download most bank/credit card issuers as long as the transactions occurred within the last 90 days. Outside of that time frame there are ways to copy older transactions by exporting them from one file then importing them into the other.
  • JMark
    JMark Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options
    Same issue here. No longer able to create subcategories for anything other than Incomes. Please correct.

Windows Quicken user since 1996

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Try the suggestion in this post and read to the end of the thread.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    Options
    It's possible there is a way around the problem, but since none of my Quicken files has the problem, I can't verify whether this will work.

In the Category List, right-click the category you want to create a sub-category for. 

In the resulting dropdown menu, select "New subcategory". The "New Category" dialog will open with the parent-category-to-be already selected in the "Subcategory of" dropdown. Then you can just enter the name of the new sub-category in the Category Name field and click OK.

-JP

• mhildebr
    mhildebr Member ✭✭
    Options
    Today I found a category in the list I never created. It was labeled "ACCT_10cd8" and shown as a "Bank" account. It had zero transactions attached so I deleted it. Now creating subcategories works for expenses. I have not thoroughly tested it and this appears highly coincidental. But worth a note for others facing similar issues. I'm just happy for now that the issue seems resolved, even if temporarily.
  • zeeeter
    zeeeter Member ✭✭
    Options
    @mhildebr - thank you, that worked for me. My category list showed three ACCT_*** entries. Deleting those allowed me to create a new expense subcategory. Thanks for posting!
  • BobKe
    BobKe Member
    Options
    I also had one ACCT_*** entry and once deleted all my expense categories appeared. Thank you for the great tip. Anyone else notice that Quicken is recently getting sloppy with updates?
  • BCar
    BCar Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have been using Quicken since August 1993 and I find myself having to come here more and more frequently to try to solve problems in the Quicken program. Over the past few years the quality of the Quicken product updates has gone way down.

I too have this "Can't Create Subcategories" or "Edit Subcategories" issue. I can't find a rogue category in my list. Any solution out there that someone can direct me towards? Quicken any fixes in sight?
    Thank you
  • Steven
    Steven Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Copies from another thread for visibility:

FWIW, in my case the bogus category was not ACCT_####, it was a category with the same name as an existing, valid account.

For me the corruption started mid-January though I didn't detect it until February.

I am able to reproduce the problem by going back to the undamaged files from that day and running validate. The validate report said it corrected a damaged category and (apparently) damaged the file. After that validate, the category list was broken.

It looks like the dialog drop downs will tell you where to look for the bogus category: the last category in the dropdown is (probably?) the category right before the damaged category in the category list (ignoring accounts).

I pretty much a super validate every day. I learned that from the "Corrected 1 Bought or Shares Added transaction that was incorrectly categorized as a realized gain." fiasco which Quicken has never fixed (but isn't causing me any big problems). But I didn't notice the one very short line in the repair back in January. I guess I'll have to be doubly careful. Sigh.
  • John McClure
    John McClure Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you @mhildebr.

Your tip worked! I had a Acct_4 listed. One extra tip: When viewing the category list, select “View Full list” that was the only way for me to find the mystery account. It was at the top of my full category list. Once I deleted it I was able to add sub-categories as usual.

Thank you again @mhildebr !!!!

• Choppy
    Choppy Member ✭✭
    Options
    YES! This fixed it for me. Acct_XXXXX was in my account list.
  • sdperham
    sdperham Member
    Options

Deleting 'Acct…" fixed the issue for me as well. Thank you for the post!

• Paul Galyean
    Options

I had the same problem of being unable to create subcategories. After reading the posts above, I looked for bogus accounts. I found and removed an account called ACCT_6033 and that fixed the problem. I have no idea where this account came form - something Quicken created, not one of mine.

• Jaymoose
    Jaymoose Member
    Options

I love the Internet! Thanks for these tips, which worked for me. This just started happening for me about 2 months ago, so I'm not sure when the bug/phantom category was introduced into my list, but deleting it solved the problem.

• Wil
    Wil Member ✭✭
    Options

Soooo frustrating. I too have this "Can't Create Subcategories" or "Edit Subcategories" issue.  I tried the posted solutions (for some), and they are not working for me. I don't have any bogus "ACCT_xxx" categories, nor do I have any categories that mirror account names. Stuck. Cannot create or edit subcategories.

When I attempt to do so, I see the same as many posters of this problem. The displayed category list in the drop down menu is incomplete. Thus, cannot select the parent category I want because most of them are not displayed.

Would appreciate any new solution. TIA

Using Quicken Deluxe for Windows, Version R48.18, Build 27.1.48.18.

• mshiggins
    Options

• Wil
    Wil Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, odd ... there appears to have been a time delay on appearance of my "Sooo frustrating ..." post, which I thought I posted yesterday before slamming my laptop shut. Anyway, I did find a solution, as I posted today 4.28.23.
This discussion has been closed.