Repeated crashes of Quicken Deluxe

Options
Has anyone noticed repeated crashes of Quicken Deluxe? I'm using version 47.15 Build 27.1.47.15 on a Windows 11 Dell system. There is no specific action causing the crashes. The program routinely hangs up during a process and crashes. I have used the dialog box to send logs to Quicken multiple times, whatever that means.
Tagged:

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The program routinely hangs up during a process and crashes.
    What process are you talking about? One Step Update? Switching to a certain account register or Quicken view?
    More details would be helpful.

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

• Reboot Windows.
    • Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    • Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file. For example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
      Usually your file is located in your C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken folder.
    • Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
      If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.
    • If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
      • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
        https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
  • Jim Wrightson
    Options
    That did not appear to work. I renamed the Quicken file. There is no specific, isolated process causing the crash. This morning, Quicken locked up when switching from my dashboard to Bills and Income. Screen zoomed in slightly and then froze. The screen stayed frozen for minutes until I "hard closed" the program using task manager.
  • Frosty1945#
    Frosty1945# Member
    Options
    Quicken crashed on me when trying to send an error report from the "help" drop down. I restarted it and it did it again. That's a great way for Quicken not to get complaints! It also locked up on me when I was trying to update my bank accounts with downloaded transactions. There seems to be a limit to the number of transactions it will accept before locking up. I restarted it, and it accepted a number of transactions, then locked up again. Could there be a memory management issue in Quicken? I'm using Windows 11 and latest Quicken release.
  • Pjjlord
    Pjjlord Member
    Options

I am having simalor problems. I had to restore back January. Not happy with the daily crashing. today it has already crashed 3 times. I have been a quicken user for over 20 years HELP I need to finish my tax reports! I am using home, business and rental property and I have all the current updates.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hung during OSU, Crash at Startup or other unexplainable malfunctions in Quicken for Windows

Please verify this:

In Windows Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / Environment Variables ensure that both the TEMP and TMP variables point to a valid and existing folder, typically C:\Windows\Temp or C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Local\Temp
    If they point to an incorrect or non-existent folder or drive change both variables to an existing folder on C:\ (or create one) e.g., C:\Temp, and reboot Windows.

• If the Temp folder is located on a too-small SSD C: - drive and you have an internal standard hard disk, too, move the Temp folder to the internal hard disk and change the TEMP and TMP variables
    • If the folder exists … does your Windows User Account have proper access rights to this folder?
    • If Quicken cannot create and use temporary files, all sorts of malfunctions will occur.
    • If the Temp folder is full of junk, clean it out. Delete all files and subfolders within the Temp folder structure that Windows allows you to delete. You may have to skip a few that are actively in use.

Make sure that files in the Temp folder are NOT accessed by cloud backup software at all.

Run CHKDSK C: /r on your C: - drive (or perform Error Checking from Windows File Explorer, Properties, Tools tab).

This discussion has been closed.