How to install Quicken 2017 on new computer (edit)

drcsue
drcsue Member ✭✭
I have been using Quicken for a very long time. I do not use any of the download or other features. Just use it to track my checking and savings accounts. I have a new computer and I want to install the old version I have paid for. I cannot afford another yearly fee. Is there a way I can do this reinstall?

Best Answer

• drcsue
    drcsue Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    To all who helped. I installed Quicken 2017 from my CD. After install, I applied the latest patch. I then copied the config file from my old computer to the new one. Started Quicken restored my data and it looks like all is good.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe.  What edition and version do you want to reinstall?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And do you have the install disc or file?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• drcsue
    drcsue Member ✭✭
    I believe I have the disc and I think it is 2017. But I probably also have the disc for 2013.
  • Boatnmaniac
    If your data file is a Quicken 2017 data file, then I don't think it is backward compatible with Quicken 2013.  So, if you were to install Quicken 2013 then it would perhaps be like starting over but perhaps data could be exported from 2017 and then imported into Quicken 2013.
    But first let's address Quicken 2017.  2017 is no longer supported by Quicken and some recent changes to Quicken have been made that are not compatible with 2017.  So, if you install it on your new computer it very likely will not function properly.  But if you have your old computer and can copy the Quicken.ini file from it, then copy that file to your new computer you might be able to get it to work.  You might want to read through this thread...the solution is listed on page 1:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7918354/migrating-quicken-2017-from-old-to-new-computer-quicken-data-access-guarantee/p1.
    If you do cannot access that Quicken.ini file on your old computer, then I'm afraid that you will be able to install Quicken 2017 but it will not run.  That would leave you with the option to upgrade to subscription or to try starting over with 2013 (which does not have this issue).

• drcsue
    drcsue Member ✭✭
    I have been using Quicken for many years, but only use it to track my checking and savings accounts and to balance those items. I am running Quicken 2017 on a Windows 10 computer and am in the process of moving everything to a new computer running Windows 11. I have my Quicken 2017 CD. I have read that I can install it, and then:

1. Copy the Quicken.ini file from old computer to new computer or
    2. Copy the entire Quicken app data files from old to new.

What is the recommended approach.
  • drcsue
    drcsue Member ✭✭
    Boatnmaniac,
    I just asked a similar question since I did find my Quicken 2017 CD. My questions is do I just copy the Quicken.ini file or the entire set of Quicken files.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would try 1 first and if that doesn't work, try 2. Don't forget to download and install the latest Mondo patch from Quicken 2017 Patches - QuicknPerlWiz.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • drcsue
    drcsue Member ✭✭
    Do I install the patch before I move the .ini or all files, or after it is running?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would install the patch first.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    drcsue said:
    Boatnmaniac,
    I just asked a similar question since I did find my Quicken 2017 CD. My questions is do I just copy the Quicken.ini file or the entire set of Quicken files.
    The thread at the link I provided in my last post here is a bit unclear. 
    On the one hand, the person in the 2nd post in that thread states that the entire Config folder should be copied:  "This works: copy the Config folder from the old computer where/when you originally installed Quicken from the path C: (or other Windows system install drive) Program Data folder, Intuit folder, Quicken folder to the new install computer after you have run the install program for Quicken 2016 but haven't tried to run Quicken 2016, overwriting the Config directory that the new install put in that path. Worked for me with a new Windows 11 laptop - I copied the Config directory from a working Win 10 install on my old laptop. I had the same blank screens, tried all the patching suggested etc. Only copying the Config folder worked." 
    Further down in that thread it sounds like only the Quicken.ini file from that Config folder (C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config\) needs to be copied.
    I have not actually tried either process because I am running a current subscription so there is no need.  You might just need to try one and if that doesn't work then try the other.  If I were you I'd probably try copying just the Quicken.ini file first.
    Please let me know which option you try and what the results were.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    drcsue said:   I am running Quicken 2017 ...
    and... only post your question  once - we have asked for your 2 dups to be merged -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• drcsue
    drcsue Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    To all who helped. I installed Quicken 2017 from my CD. After install, I applied the latest patch. I then copied the config file from my old computer to the new one. Started Quicken restored my data and it looks like all is good.
This discussion has been closed.