What are the categories named "Other"?

Some of my category titles have a category added to the end named "Other". What are these?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happens when there is a top-level category with subcategories under it.  If you then use the top-level category for a transaction instead of using one of the subcategories, Quicken will assign it to "Other".  It is essentially assigning a new subcategory to that transaction without actually creating a new subcategory in Category List.   This is important for some reports and for budgets so the dollars from all of the real subcategories plus the dollars from the fictional "Other" subcategory add up to the total dollars for the top-level category.  Otherwise the subcategories would add up to a number that is lower than what the top-level category shows.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• capt742000
    capt742000 Member ✭✭
    Fantastic. Now, how do I find them so I can assign the correct sub category?
    Thanks,
    Mike E.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could pull up an Itemized Categories report.  Customize it (upper right Gear icon),  select the time period you want (maybe select "Earliest to Date") and on the Categories tab deselect all and then manually select the upper level categories that you are seeing this "Other" for.  Then click on OK.  You should now have a report that shows the specific transactions.  Double click on a transaction in the report and it will take you to the actual transaction where you can make the category field correction. 
    Once the transaction correction has been made it will update the report you have customized so that transaction will no longer show up there. 
    Repeat this process for each transaction showing up in this customized report.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.