how to enjoy using quicken software after the subscription expires?

I am an 86-year-old man who is a long time user of Quicken software. I no longer need to download from banks, stock brokers, etc and just want to use the software that I paid for. I can use it but only if I live with the LARGE banners and notices that appear each time, using up perhaps 1/3 the screen. THIS IS A BIG ANNOYANCE and Quicken should be ashamed of themselves for this practice. It is nothing short of an intimidation, a misuse of the obligation to permit use of the basic software to a person who paid for the software. Putting these notices in front of my face each time I turn it on does not only not help Quicken (Intuit) sell software or subscriptions, it fosters resentment and bad will.
Jerome Shull, Prescott AZ

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    About using older versions, QW2016 & QW2017 are the only ones that can open and use a subscription Quicken data file, BUT, due to changes in the registration servers, you can not install QW2014 thru 2017 and register them any longer.
    To change to QW2013 or earlier, would require exporting your data to a .QIF file and then importing it into QW2013.  Now, that sounds simple, but it takes a lot of luck, time and patience to do a successful export/import.  Mine took about a week requiring a lot of editing and I had the benefit of knowing what to look out for.  I also had two computers so that I could compare the #s between the two to make sure I got it correct.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree 100%!

Just an FYI, Intuit no longer owns Quicken. Quicken Inc is privately owned by a venture capitalist group. Although there have been many many many complaints about the expiration banner, Quicken Inc management has repeatedly stated they will not discontinue the banner.

You may notice I am still using QW2017. One reason for that is the expire banner on later subscription versions. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• tuc_jer
    tuc_jer Member
    Thank you for this information. The new ownership should understand that this particular "philosophy" is not ethical and does their reputation more harm than good.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they originally announced that they were going to the subscription model, expiration would have made ALL editions of Quicken (Starter, Deluxe, Premier & H&M) go into READ-ONLY mode, but they changed it to just Starter going into read-only.
    So, the current policy of having the banner and panel advertisements is better than it could have been.
    Personally, I'm running QW2013 in parallel with subscription until the last of my financial institutions drop providing Direct Connect downloads and convert to EWC+, at which time I'll only use QW2013.  QW2013 is the last version before they implemented the requirement of the Intuit/Quicken Id to register Quicken which no longer works for QW2014-2017.

• tuc_jer
    tuc_jer Member
    I appreciate your comment and will see if I've kept any of the older Quicken software. Another person replied and noted "You may notice I am still using QW2017. One reason for that is the expire banner on later subscription versions." I suspect an opportunity exists for software companies to create a similar (or better) product that does not require subscriptions to use its basic purpose.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    About using older versions, QW2016 & QW2017 are the only ones that can open and use a subscription Quicken data file, BUT, due to changes in the registration servers, you can not install QW2014 thru 2017 and register them any longer.
    To change to QW2013 or earlier, would require exporting your data to a .QIF file and then importing it into QW2013.  Now, that sounds simple, but it takes a lot of luck, time and patience to do a successful export/import.  Mine took about a week requiring a lot of editing and I had the benefit of knowing what to look out for.  I also had two computers so that I could compare the #s between the two to make sure I got it correct.

This discussion has been closed.