Is there a way to get Quicken to accept SELL transactions without having to use the wizard?

Options
Ed Perrault
Ed Perrault Member
edited March 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I have several investment accounts and I download all of the broker transactions each weekend. The downloads work great (mostly), but I end up having to use the "Sell Shares" wizard to specify the cost basis method for each of the sales. I always select "Lot Identification" in the wizard dialog and I am wondering if there is a way that I can make this a default action so that I don't have to use the wizard constantly. If the account has seen a lot of activity during the week, this can eat up a lot of time.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you don't have the default costing method as LIFO or FIFO it's always going to ask you what lots got sold and I know of no way to have it not ask what method to use and simply opening up with your lot information presented, waiting for your selection of lots.  It seems like the big time consuming effort would have to come from you actually making your selection of lots, not the time it takes you to tell Quicken "Lot Identification."

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you don't have the default costing method as LIFO or FIFO it's always going to ask you what lots got sold and I know of no way to have it not ask what method to use and simply opening up with your lot information presented, waiting for your selection of lots.  It seems like the big time consuming effort would have to come from you actually making your selection of lots, not the time it takes you to tell Quicken "Lot Identification."
  • Ed Perrault
    Options
    OK, thought that might be the case. I don't need perfect accuracy on the basis (I download the 1099s from my broker into TurboTax). I'll try configuring Quicken for FIFO and see that takes care of it. If not, it's no big deal. Thanks for the answer.
This discussion has been closed.