Transaction ID? Where?

Options
When I opened the Transaction menu I didn't find anything that mentioned "ID".
My bank is Consumers Credit Union in IL. When I connect Quicken to my bank to to download transactions, it downloads my CCU Visa with which I have made all of my Costco purchases. It also downloads separately each Costco charge or rebate. How do I make it stop doing the later?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Not exactly sure what the "Transaction menu" is, but it sounds like you might be referring to the unique ID number that's assigned to each downloaded transaction?
    I'm not following along with you here:
    "it downloads my CCU Visa with which I have made all of my Costco purchases. It also downloads separately each Costco charge or rebate."
    What gets downloaded (or, what's supposed to be downloaded) are transactions which sounds to me like "each Costco Charge or rebate."  But I don't understand the preceding "it downloads my CCU Visa with which I have made all of my Costco purchases."  Are you saying you're getting transactions downloaded twice, or something?
  • lschornick
    Options
    Thank you Tom. I'll see if I can clarify.
    FIrst, The Quicken drop down menus at the top left of the computer screen when Quicken is open was the "Menu" I was talking about.
    I have a Visa care with Consumers Credit Union (IL). I use it almost exclusively at Costco.
    Let's say I spend $200.00 on Costco Warehouse and/or Costco.com and Costco Gas. For my expenditures at Costco I get a member Rebate as well.
    That expenditure is posted at the appropriate time on my credit union's monthly bill. CCU Visa - $200.00.
    When I connect my Quicken account with my bank account, that post shows up in my Quicken window As CCU Visa - $200.00.
    In addition however, when I connect Quicken to the bank I get not only the CCU Visa - $200.00, but also the individual charges on my Visa card at Costco; i.e., Costco Warehouse - $175.00, Costco Gas - $25 and whatever Rebate is also posted.
    The end result is that I show a debit for my Visa and a debit for each item from Costco on my Visa card, making it a double debit. I have to go in manually and removed each of the "Costco" marked expenditures.
    I hope that clarifies. Also, I do not see any "Transaction numbers" on my screen and don't know how to access them.
    Thank you.
    Lynn
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "FIrst, The Quicken drop down menus at the top left of the computer screen when Quicken is open was the "Menu" I was talking about."
    So you are looking at the screen that comes up when you click on "All Transactions" at the top of the Account Bar.  You're not looking at the separate registers of your checking Account and credit card Account. 
    The first thing I'd suggest is to use the individual Account registers when dealing with "current" activity, not this All Transactions screen as the screen can get confusing when dealing with lots of Accounts, and my first (maybe incorrect) thought is that you're not necessarily understanding what you're looking at.  And, I'm still confused because I'm not sure of the timing of the transactions you're talking about.
    In a test file I made some transactions as you described them, entering them along the lines of what typically happens with a credit card and a bank account:  So, on the same day, I made two distinct purchases amounting to $200 at Costco and then paid the credit card bill - which only had those two Costco charges - some time later when the credit card statement was issued:

There IS a $200 payment out of the checking Account and there ARE $200 of charges on the credit card Account, but the overall accounting is correct.
    "Let's say I spend $200.00 on Costco Warehouse and/or Costco.com and Costco Gas."
    I assume that the $200.00 of purchases are made the same day since the solo $200.00 shows up in the bank Account in your example.
    "When I connect my Quicken account with my bank account, that post shows up in my Quicken window As CCU Visa - $200.00"
    I read that sentence as follows:  When, a day or two after spending $200 at Costco, I download information from my bank account (presumably at CCU?) the full $200 I charged at Costco using my CCU VISA is downloaded as a Payment into the Accounts' register."
    Is that a correct reading?  If it isn't, tell me exactly what's wrong with it.  If it IS a payment, how do you account for that payment?
    For that to be a correct reading of what you've said, that suggest to me that maybe the CCU Visa is actually a debit card, not a credit card?  That seems to be a possibility as you don't mention subsequently making a payment on the credit card.
    (As an aside, and probably not really relevant, this also suggests that CCU is giving you the "instant" rebate, not Costco.  I have a CitiBank Costco credit card and CitiBank gives me an annual rebate, and Costco gives me an annual rebate.)
    "In addition however, when I connect Quicken to the bank I get not only the CCU Visa - $200.00, but also the individual charges on my Visa card at Costco; i.e., Costco Warehouse - $175.00, Costco Gas - $25 and whatever Rebate is also posted."
    What Account in Quicken does this activity settle in?  The bank Account?  A separate credit card Account? Is this detail downloaded at the same time as the $200 amount, or some time afterwards?
    "I have to go in manually and removed each of the "Costco" marked expenditures."
    I don't know WHERE you're going in to remove Costco marked expenditures.  In the bank Account or in the credit card Account? And the fact that you're removing expenditures somewhere but still ending up with correct accounting(???) suggests that you're getting "doubled up" downloads of information.
    As you can see, I'm still confused.  Overall, it sounds to me like what you're describing is some sort of problem on the part of CCU, but even that's not clear as I don't know if CCU is both your "bank" and the issuer of the "card", which might be a debit card or might be a credit card.  Here is a suggestion in the meantime until we get this straightened out.  DO NOT allow transactions to be "Automatically" entered in any Account - checking or credit card.  Allow the downloads to settle into the "Downloaded Transactions" window below the register.  At the very least that would allow you, in real time, to DELETE what are in effect duplicate transactions.
  • lschornick
    Options
    Thank you Tom. There is certainly a great deal I don't understand about Quicken and the way it works. I'm learning slowly.

I understand what you're saying about regarding "All Transactions" showing both the Credit Card account from Consumers (and it IS a credit card) showing up as the amount paid in the checking account transaction and the credit bard transaction. I'll watch for it in March when it comes due again. My initial remembrance is that in "All Transactions" the amount of my payment was debited and showed as a debit when I paid the credit card bill, and the "Costco" charges that showed up individually were also debits, meaning of course that money was removed from the running total twice. Since I've already deleted the individual Costco listings I'll have to wait to see if that is indeed the case.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it very much.

Lynn
This discussion has been closed.